Miller wins opener; late rally falls short in nightcap
KISSIMMEE, Fla. – Junior pitcher Caitlyn Miller (Lee, N.H.) picked up another complete game victory as Plymouth State University topped Webster University, 6-2, in a non-conference softball game at Fortune Field at THE Spring Games on Saturday.
PSU rallied from a 3-0 deficit in the nightcap against Suffolk University, cutting the margin to 3-2 and loading the bases with two away, but the Rams were able to escape with the win.
Senior Debra Morrill (Concord, N.H.) extended her hot start at the plate in the opener with a two-hit game. PSU plated four runs in the second and extended the lead to 6-0 with a pair of two-out hits in the fourth. The Gorlocks used back-to-back, two-out RBI singles to make it 6-2 in the fifth, but Miller retired seven of the next eight batters to close out her second win in as many days.
Suffolk scored three runs (one earned) in the third inning of the second game as the PSU defense committed three errors in the frame. Down to their final out, the Panthers nearly pulled off an incredible comeback. Morrill stroked a pinch hit double and senior Hannah Seidner (Pembroke, N.H.) drew a walk to chase the Rams' starter. Senior Ashley Deyo (Dover, N.H.) greeted the new pitcher with a two-run double and back-to-back walks loaded the bases, but Suffolk was able to record the final out to escape further trouble.
Plymouth State goes to 2-2 on the season, while Webster moves to 1-4 and Suffolk improves to 2-0.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 6, Webster 2
Plymouth State 2, Suffolk 3
Plymouth State (2-2)
How it Happened (Webster):
* Miller faced the minimum through two innings and the Panthers scored four times in the bottom of the second. Senior Cassidy Emerson (Concord, N.H.) worked a one-out walk and classmate Mel Goss (Templeton, Mass.) stroked a double. Junior Jen Landers (Berlin, N.H.) reached on an infield hit to make it 1-0.
* Junior Nora Butler (Tewksbury, Mass.) reached on a fielder's choice and a throwing error plated Goss and Landers and allowed Butler to move to third. Junior Haley Birch (Salem, Conn.) followed with a sacrifice to score Butler and make it 4-0.
* PSU plated two more in the fourth when Seidner ripped a single to left to score pinch runner Niah Colby (Lunenburg, Vt.). Seidner stole second, then came around to score on Deyo's RBI double.
* The Gorlocks finally got to Miller in the fifth. A hit batsman and sacrifice put a runner on second with two down, and back to back singles made it 6-2, but Miller worked out of further trouble by inducing an infield pop-up and Webster would only have one baserunner the rest of the day.
Inside the Numbers (Webster):
* Morrill finished 2-for-4 and swiped a base from the leadoff spot, while Seidner (single, walk), Emerson (single, walk) and Goss (double, walk) all reached base twice.
* Seidner, Deyo, Landers and Birch all drove in runs.
* Miller went the distance, giving up five hits and a walk while striking out two to improve to 2-0.
How it Happened (Suffolk):
* Senior Kayla Mathieu (Fairfax, Vt.) cruised through the first two innings, but her defense let her down in the third. After a leadoff single, the Panthers' infield threw the ball around allowing a run to score and a groundout made it 2-0. Two more miscues and a pair of singles plated a third run, but Mathieu got an infield pop to strand the bases loaded.
* Plymouth State had a baserunner in each of the first four innings, but couldn't string multiple hits together.
* The Panthers had a chance in the sixth when a single and error allowed the first two batters to reach. A sacrifice bunt moved both runners to scoring position with one away. The next batter flew out to center and the lead runner was cut down at the plate to keep PSU off the board.
* Plymouth finally broke through with two out in the seventh. Morrill doubled and Seidner walked to chase the Suffolk starter. Deyo greeted the new pitcher with a two-run double to center, and back to back walks loaded the bases, but the game ended on a ground ball to third.
Inside the Numbers (Suffolk):
* Deyo (single, double) and Goss (two walks) both reached twice, while Morrill, junior Mina Shaw (Mars, Pa.) and freshmen Madison Harris (Randolph, Mass.) and Katie Burk (East Islip, N.Y.) all had hits.
* Shaw and Harris picked up their first hits of the year, while Morrill is 7-for-11 (.636) through her first four games.
* Mathieu allowed three runs (one earned) over her four innings of work, while freshman Jillian Aziz (Plaistow, N.H.) gave up a hit and two walks in her two scoreless innings.
* Plymouth State will face Haverford College (2:00 p.m.) and William Paterson University (4:30 p.m.) on Sunday (Mar. 10), before enjoying an off-day on Monday.
– 30 –