Deyo extends hitting streak to ten games after four-hit day
BIDDEFORD, Maine – Senior Ashley Deyo (Dover, N.H.) had two hits in both ends of a double header to extend her hitting streak to ten straight games, but the University of New England earned a pair of walk-off wins to sweep Plymouth State University in non-conference softball action at Nor'easter Diamond on Thursday evening.
PSU carried a 3-2 lead into the sixth inning of the opener, but the hosts rallied to tie the game in the bottom of the frame and walked-off in the seventh. The Nor'easters held a 4-2 lead in game two, but Plymouth State pulled in front, 6-4, following a three-run fourth. UNE evened the game in the bottom of the frame, then walked-off with a single run in the bottom of the seventh to complete the sweep.
Plymouth State falls to 11-11 on the year, while UNE moves to 16-9.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 3, UNE 4 (Game One)
Plymouth State 6, UNE 7 (Game Two)
Plymouth State (11-11)
How it Happened (Game One):
* PSU got off to a promising start as senior Hannah Seidner (Pembroke, N.H.) doubled to lead off the game. The Panthers had runners on the corners with one down, but a pair of strikeouts ended the threat.
* UNE strung together three straight two-out singles to plate two runs in the bottom of the second.
* The Panthers evened the game in the fourth. Deyo doubled over the head of the left fielder and freshman Madison Harris (Randolph, Mass.) walked. Both runners moved up on a wild pitch, then scored when freshman Katie Burk (East Islip, N.Y.) reached on a bunt.
* PSU took the lead in the top of the fifth. Junior Mina Shaw (Mars, Pa.) reached on an error and moved to third on Seidner's bunt. UNE got the second out of the inning, but Deyo came up with a clutch RBI single through the left side to make it a 3-2 game.
* Senior Avery Alberghini (Moretown, Vt.) used her speed to tie the game in the sixth. She led off the inning by beating out an infield groundball, stole second and third, then came home on a ground out.
* The Nor'easters led off the seventh with back-to-back singles. The runners moved up on a sacrifice bunt and a base hit in the shortstop hole gave UNE the win.
Inside the Numbers (Game One):
* The Panthers were limited to four hits, with Deyo collecting two (single, double) and also reaching on a walk.
* Seidner's double and Burk's bunt single were PSU's other hits.
* Senior Sydnee Bessler (Everett, Mass.) went the distance for the Nor'easters, striking out seven to improve to 7-4.
How it Happened (Game Two):
* PSU struck first in the nightcap. Senior Debra Morrill (Concord, N.H.) walked and stole second and Deyo drove her in with a single, but UNE got the run back in the bottom of the inning.
* Plymouth went right back in front in the second. Senior Cassidy Emerson (Concord, N.H.) doubled, moved up on a bunt and came home on a ground out, but again the hosts scored in the bottom of the inning – this time plating three runs on a two-out double to go ahead 4-2.
* Harris drove in Seidner in the third to cut into the deficit and the Panthers went in front in the fourth. Freshman Lauren Archambault (Rehoboth, Mass.) knocked a one-out single and Morrill bunted for a hit. Seidner drove in one with a single just inside the third base line and Deyo plated to more with her base hit up the middle to make it 6-4.
* The Panthers got two quick outs in the bottom of the inning, but the next two batters reached on singles and a two-run double tied the game.
* Alberghini started the game-winning rally in the bottom of the seventh with a bunt single. She advanced to second on a throwing error, then raced home on an infield grounder.
Inside the Numbers (Game Two):
* Seidner and Deyo each had two hits for the Panthers. Seidner also drew a walk, drove in a run and scored twice, while Deyo finished with three RBI.
* Morrill (single, walk) and Archambault (single, walk) both reached base twice.
* Senior Kayla Mathieu (Fairfax, Vt.) gave up six runs (two earned) over four innings, before giving way to Aziz, who went the final 2.2.
* Deyo has reached base in 15 straight games, has a ten-game hitting streak and recorded her tenth multi-hit game of the year.
* Plymouth State returns to Little East Conference play on Sunday (Apr. 14). The Panthers face the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth in a pair of games played at the South Athletic Fields at St. Anselm College starting at 1:00 p.m.
* UNE heads to Endicott College for a CCC twin bill on Saturday (Apr. 13) with first pitch set for noon.
– 30 –