Mathieu, Miller combine for no-hitter in game two
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Senior Kayla Mathieu (Fairfax, Vt.) and junior Caitlyn Miller (Lee, N.H.) combined for a no-hitter to lead Plymouth State University to a 1-0 win over the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth in game two of a Little East Conference (LEC) double header at the South Athletic Field at St. Anselm College on Sunday. The Corsairs took game one by a 2-1 score.
Mathieu was brilliant in the nightcap, needing just 57 pitches to get through six innings and Miller came on for the final three outs. Freshman Madison Harris (Randolph, Mass.) plated the game's only run with a smash off the third baseman's glove in the bottom of the sixth.
In game one the Corsairs plated a pair of runs on a two-run single off the bat of sophomore Jill Richards (Kingston, Mass.) in the third inning. The Panthers got a run back on an RBI double from junior Jen Landers (Berlin, N.H.) in the bottom of the fourth, but neither team would score again.
With the split Plymouth State moves to 12-12 on the year and 5-1 in LEC play. UMass Dartmouth ends the day with a 16-14 mark and is 7-3 in conference action.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 1, UMass Dartmouth 2 (Game One)
Plymouth State 1, UMass Dartmouth 0 (Game Two)
Plymouth State (12-12, 5-1 LEC)
UMass Dartmouth (16-14, 7-3 LEC)
How it Happened (Game One):
* Senior Debra Morrill (Concord, N.H.) walked and classmate Ashley Deyo (Dover, N.H.) reached on a fielder's choice to put runners on the corners in the bottom of the first for the Panthers, but UMD escaped unscathed with a foul out and ground out.
* The Corsairs struck first with a pair of runs in the third. The first two batters reached on singles and were bunted into scoring position. An infield hit loaded the bases and Richards, the UMD starting pitcher, helped her own cause when she knocked in two runs with a base hit to left center.
* The Panthers rallied to plate a run in the bottom of the fourth. With one down, sophomore Samantha Cushing (Amherst, N.H.) reached on an infield hit. She was erased on a fielder's choice off the bat of senior Cassidy Emerson (Concord, N.H.), but Landers followed with an RBI double to the right centerfield gap to cut the deficit in half.
* PSU had a two-out baserunner in the fifth when senior Hannah Seidner (Pembroke, N.H.) worked a walk, but she was stranded and Richards retired the final seven batters to earn the win.
Inside the Numbers (Game One):
* Miller scattered six hits and struck out six, while surrendering a pair of runs, but took the loss for the Panthers to fall to 8-6.
* Richards (7-7) earned the win for UMD. She went the distance allowing two runs and three walks while striking out four.
* Cushing and Landers had Panthers' hits, while Richards went 2-for-3 for UMass Dartmouth.
How it Happened (Game Two):
* Baserunners were hard to come by in game two. The Corsairs worked leadoff walks in the first and second, but Mathieu worked around them each time.
* Morrill singled and stole second to lead off the bottom of the frame, but the next three hitters were retired.
* Emerson singled down the right field line with one down in the second, but again the Corsairs escaped unscathed.
* UMass Dartmouth freshman Autumn Medeiros (Swansea, Mass.) took a one-out walk in the fifth. After a line out she stole second, but Mathieu induced a ground ball to second to retire the side.
* Landers singled off the second baseman's glove with one out in the fifth, but pinch runner Mina Shaw (Mars, Pa.) was caught stealing. Junior Nora Butler (Tewksbury, Mass.) followed with a base hit to center, but UMD was able to get the final out.
* Morrill and Seidner had back-to-back singles to open the bottom of the sixth and both moved up on a sacrifice bunt. Harris blasted a line drive off the third baseman's glove to give PSU a 1-0 lead. The Panthers almost scored another run on a grounder to third, but Medeiros made the play home and the next batter grounded out to end the inning.
* Miller relieved Mathieu in the seventh and hit the leadoff batter to put the tying run on. Pinch runner Maddie O'Gryzek (Norfolk, Mass.) was bunted to second and moved up to third on a ground out, but Miller got a ground ball to second for the final out.
Inside the Numbers (Game Two):
* Mathieu (4-3) worked six innings and allowed just three walks, while Miller picked up her second save of the year.
* Morrill went 2-for-3 from the leadoff spot and scored the game's only run.
* PSU's last no-hitter also came against UMass Dartmouth, when Miller beat the Corsairs 4-0 in the LEC tournament last May.
* PSU heads to rival Keene State on Tuesday (Apr. 16) for a pair of LEC games 3:30 p.m.
* The Corsairs are also in league action on Tuesday (Apr. 16). UMD visits Southern Maine for an LEC twin bill starting at 3:00 p.m.
– 30 –