Emerson reaches base five times in double header
GORHAM, Maine – Senior Cassidy Emerson (Concord, N.H.) had a pair of two-hit games and reached base five times overall, but Plymouth State University dropped a pair of Little East Conference (LEC) softball games Friday evening at USM Softball Stadium.
The Panthers' bats were stymied in the opener – limited to four hits and one unearned run – as the Huskies earned a 5-1 win. PSU grabbed a 2-0 lead in the first inning of game two, but the hosts tied the game in the second, went ahead in the third and held Plymouth State off the scoreboard the rest of the way to win 8-2.
Plymouth State evens its record at 15-15 and drops to 8-4 in the Little East, while USM improves to 16-15 and 5-7 in conference play.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 1, Southern Maine 5 (Game One)
Plymouth State 2, Southern Maine 8 (Game Two)
Plymouth State (15-15, 8-4 LEC)
Southern Maine (16-15, 5-7 LEC)
How it Happened (Game One):
* Southern Maine relied on some small ball in the bottom of the fourth to break open as coreless game as both starters – junior Caitlyn Miller (Lee, N.H.) and USM freshman Ashley Alward (Cornville, Maine) – turned in strong performances.
* The Huskies used an infield hit, walk, bunt and groundout to take a 1-0 lead.
* USM added a pair of runs in the fifth on an RBI single and fielder's choice and a pair of sacrifice flies in the sixth extended the lead to 5-0.
* Plymouth State finally got something started in the seventh as sophomore Samantha Cushing (Amherst, N.H.) and Emerson opened the frame with back-to-back hits. After the next two batters made outs, pinch hitter Lindsey Hall (Midlothian, Va.) reached on an error to plate PSU's first run, but a fly out ended the rally.
Inside the Numbers (Game One):
* Emerson had two of the Panthers' four hits, with Cushing and senior Ashley Deyo (Dover, N.H.) accounting for the other two.
* Miller struck out five while allowing three earned on four hits over five innings to fall to 10-7. She didn't allow a baserunner until the fourth.
* Freshman Jillian Aziz (Plaistow, N.H.) threw the final two innings, allowing two earned runs on a hit and walk.
* Alward (5-5) went the distance for the Huskies, scattering four hits and a walk while striking out three.
How it Happened (Game Two):
* Emerson and Deyo each had singles in the first, before coming around to score on a two-run single from freshman Katie Burk (East Islip, N.Y.).
* The Huskies rallied to tie the game in the second on a wild pitch and sacrifice fly.
* USM took the lead for good with a three-run third and the Huskies added two more in the fifth to lead 7-2.
* The hosts added a final run in the bottom of the sixth on a run-scoring ground ball.
Inside the Numbers (Game Two):
* Senior Kayla Mathieu (Fairfax, Vt.) took the loss after giving up five runs (four earned) over 2.2 innings.
* Aziz pitched the final 3.1, allowing three runs (two earned).
* After giving up three hits in the first, USM junior Alexis Brown (Malden, Mass.) settled down to give up just four hits the rest of the way to even her record at 7-7.
* Emerson had another two-hit game and added a walk to reach base three times.
* Freshman Madison Harris (Randolph, Mass.) was the only other Panther on base twice after registering a single and walk.
* Plymouth State hosts WestConn in another LEC twin bill on Sunday (Apr. 21) at NHTI in Concord, N.H. Game one is set for an 11:00 a.m. start.
* Southern Maine travels to Colby College on Monday (Apr. 22) for a non-conference double header at 4:00 p.m.
– 30 –