Miller, Mathieu solid in the circle for Panthers
CONCORD, N.H. – Junior Caitlyn Miller (Lee, N.H.) and senior Kayla Mathieu (Fairfax, Vt.) combined to allow just two runs over 12.2 innings, but Plymouth State University was forced to settle for a split in a Little East Conference (LEC) softball double header with Western Connecticut State University at the NHTI Softball Field on Sunday.
Miller threw a complete-game four-hitter as the Panthers took game one, 5-1. Mathieu was just as impressive, needing only 63 pitches to get through 5.2 innings, but PSU was unable to cash in on early scoring opportunities to fall 1-0 in game two.
Plymouth State moves to 16-16 and 9-5 in the Little East, while WestConn goes to 16-12 and 4-6 in conference play.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 5, WestConn 1 (Game One)
Plymouth State 0, WestConn 1 (Game Two)
Plymouth State (16-16, 9-5 LEC)
WestConn (16-12, 4-6 LEC)
How it Happened (Game One):
* Plymouth State got the scoring started with a pair of unearned runs in the bottom of the second. Freshman Madison Harris (Randolph, Mass.) walked and senior Mel Goss (Templeton, Mass.) pushed a bunt past the pitcher to put two runners on. Sophomore Samantha Cushing (Amherst, N.H.) ripped a shot at third, but the third baseman made the play, stepped on the bag and threw across for the double play.
* Sophomore Reilly McMahon (South Windsor, Conn.) got a run back right away when she led off the top of the third with a home run to left. PSU left fielder Debra Morrill (Concord, N.H.) nearly made the play, but the ball went off her glove and both Morrill and the ball landed just over the fence.
* PSU got runners on second and third with one down in the bottom of the frame on singles from Morrill and senior Ashley Deyo (Dover, N.H.) and Harris drove in a run with a single to center to make it 3-1.
* The Panthers used a two-out rally to tack on another run in the fourth. Senior Hannah Seidner (Pembroke, N.H.) was hit by a pitch and came around to score when Morrill doubled to the gap in left center.
* Seidner made a great play in the field in the bottom of the inning. With two out, junior Brittany Stancavage (Bristol, Conn.) singled through the left side and classmate Charline Plasczynki (Bristol, Conn.) grounded a single through the right side, but Seidner fired a strike to third on the fly to cut down Stancavage at third.
* WestConn put two runners on in the top of the seventh on a pair of hit batters, but Miller settled down to retire the side.
Inside the Numbers (Game One):
* Deyo had three hits, while Morrill (double, single) and Harris (two singles) each had two.
* Landers knocked in two runs, with Morrill, Harris and senior Cassidy Emerson (Concord, N.H.) each driving in one.
* Miller scattered four hits and gave up just one run to improve to 11-7.
* Junior Angelina Miller (Holbrook, N.Y.) took the loss (3-2) after allowing three runs (one earned) on five hits and a walk over the first 2.1 innings. Junior Sara Tenke (Glen Cove, N.Y.) surrendered two runs (one earned) over the next 3.1 and freshman Alyssa Lionetti (Brookfield, Conn.) recorded one out for the Colonials.
How it Happened (Game Two):
* PSU had multiple chances to break through in game two. The Panthers loaded the bases without an out in both the third and fourth innings but were unable to get the big hit.
* In the third, Morrill singled, Emerson reached on an error and Deyo walked, but WestConn got the first out at the plate on a fielder's choice, then shortstop Jordan Fitzsimons (Bristol, Conn.) made a diving snag of a liner off the bat of Goss, before a groundout ended the threat.
* Butler singled up the middle to start the fourth and a fielder's choice and bunt single by Seidner loaded the bases with nobody down for the second straight inning. Angelina Miller relieved and got a fly ball to center and back-to-back fielder's choices to preserve the scoreless game.
* WestConn broke through the top of the sixth putting runners on after a hit by pitch and bunt single with one out. Mathieu got an infield popup for the second out, but WCSU senior Erica Bower (Hillsborough, N.J.) roped a single up the middle to plate the game's first run.
* Caitlyn Miller relieved and ended the threat, but WestConn's Angelina Miller retired six of the last seven batters to earn the win.
Inside the Numbers (Game Two):
* Deyo walked three times, while Butler went 2-for-2. Morrill, Harris and Seidner had the other hits for the Panthers.
* Mathieu allowed just four hits and the one run over 5.2 strong innings, but suffered the hard-luck loss to fall to 5-6. C. Miller got the final four outs without allowing a hit.
* Senior Jaclyn Smith (Sandwich, Mass.) went the first three innings for the Colonials, giving up four hits and two walks. A. Smith allowed just two baserunners over the final four to improve to 4-2.
* Both teams are back in action on Wednesday (Apr. 24). Plymouth State welcomes Emerson College to town for a non-conference doubleheader starting at 3:30 p.m., while the Colonials host Rhode Island College in an LEC twin bill at 5:00 p.m.
– 30 –