Harris' slam, Hall's dinger lead Panthers to victory
DARTMOUTH, Mass. – Freshman Madison Harris (Randolph, Mass.) launched a first inning grand slam and senior Lindsey Hall (Midlothian, Va.) also homered as Plymouth State University topped Western Connecticut State University, 6-2, to stave off elimination in the Little East Conference (LEC) softball tournament at UMD Softball Complex on the campus of University of Massachusetts Dartmouth on Thursday evening.
Harris provided Plymouth State with all the offense it would need with her first inning slam and senior Kayla Mathieu (Fairfax, Vt.) threw six solid innings to help the Panthers advance. PSU tacked on a run in the fourth on Hall's blast and Harris added an RBI single in the fifth to make it 6-0. The Colonials got an unearned run in the bottom of the inning and cut the margin to 6-2 with a leadoff homer in the sixth, but that was as close as they would get.
Plymouth State improves to 21-17 and advances to play on Friday (May 3) at 2:00 p.m. The Panthers' opponent will be determined base on additional games Friday morning. PSU will either face the loser of game six (University of Massachusetts Boston vs. Eastern Connecticut State University) or the winner of game five (University of Massachusetts Dartmouth vs. University of Southern Maine).
WestConn's season comes to an end at 19-18.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 6, WestConn 2
Plymouth State (21-17)
How it Happened:
* While the Panthers were held scoreless in their opening game of the day, it took just four batters for PSU to get on the scoreboard against WestConn. Senior Debra Morrill (Concord, N.H.) poked the game's first pitch into left and an error allowed the next batter to reach. Senior Ashley Deyo (Dover, N.H.) singled to load the bases and Harris launched a 1-0 pitch down the left field line for a 4-0 lead.
* Mathieu worked around a walk and bunt single in the bottom of the inning, then retired the next eight batters before an error and bunt hit put two runners on in the fourth. She escaped when the next hitter lined out to third.
* Hall extended PSU's lead to 5-0 with a solo shot to left to lead off the fourth.
* Senior Cassidy Emerson (Concord, N.H.) roped a double to left center field to start the fifth and Harris knocked a single to center to make it 6-0.
* WestConn got on the board in the bottom of the frame with a two-out rally. Back-to-back singles and an error cut the lead to 6-1, but a fly out ended the threat.
* Junior Charline Plasczynski (Bristol, Conn.) homered to straight away center field to start the bottom of the sixth and cut the lead to 6-2.
* PSU looked to add to its lead in the seventh as back-to-back walks and a sacrifice bunt put runners on second and third with one away, but the Colonials got a pair of strikeouts to keep it a four-run game.
* Senior Caitlyn Miller (Lee, N.H.) came on to pitch the bottom of the seventh, getting two quick outs before an error and walk put two runners on. She fell behind the next batter, 3-0, but recovered to get a ground ball on a full-count pitch to end the game.
Inside the Numbers:
* Plymouth State banged out ten hits, as Morrill, Deyo, Harris and Hall had two apiece.
* Harris drove in a career-high five runs.
* Hall's home run was her first since Apr. 24, 2016.
* Mathieu scattered five hits over six innings to improve to 8-6. Just one of the Colonials' two runs were earned.
* Junior Sara Tenke (Glen Cove, N.Y.) took the loss. She allowed three hits and four runs (three earned) without retiring a batter to fall to 4-6.
* Plymouth State will play Friday (May 3) at 2:00 p.m. against one of the four remaining teams; UMass Dartmouth, Southern Maine, UMass Boston or Eastern Connecticut. The Panthers fell to UMB in the tournament opener, swept Eastern Connecticut in the regular season finale, split with the Corsairs on Apr. 14, and dropped two to the Huskies on Apr. 19.
* WestConn's season comes to an end.
– 30 –