Miller posts shutout in opener; Harris goes deep in game two
CLERMONT, Fla. – Senior Caitlyn Miller (Lee, N.H.) threw a complete game shutout and sophomore Madison Harris (Randolph, Mass.) launched her first home run of the year as the Plymouth State University softball team opened its 2020 campaign by splitting a pair of contests at THE Spring Games on Friday.
Harris blasted a three-run shot in the nightcap and freshman Sam McCann (Berlin, N.H.) allowed just one earned run in her collegiate debut, but Moravian College took advantage of some sloppy PSU defense for a 9-5 win.
Plymouth State opens the year with a 1-1 mark and will play another two games on Saturday (Mar. 7).
Plymouth State 4, Alvernia 0
Plymouth State 5, Moravian 9
Plymouth State (1-1)
How it Happened (Alvernia):
- Sophomore Katie Burk (East Islip, N.Y.) and Harris singled in the opening frame and Picard drove them both in with her two-out base hit to give PSU an early 2-0 lead.
- Miller retired seven of the first eight batters. The Golden Wolves put runners on the corners with two out in the third, but a ground ball ended the rally.
- The Panthers added two insurance runs in the sixth. Sophomore Lauren Archambault (Rehoboth, Mass.) and Harris both singled and Landers came through with a two-out single to plate both runners and double the lead.
- Alvernia got a one-out double in the bottom of the seventh, but a pop up and strikeout ended the game.
Inside the Numbers (Alvernia):
- Harris went 2-for-3 and scored twice, while Archambault reached twice with a hit and walk.
- Miller struck out four to improve to 1-0 to start the year and has now won her opening day start in all four years.
How it Happened (Moravian):
- Moravian built a 3-0 lead over the first two innings, but the Panthers erupted for a five-run third to pull ahead.
- Sophomore Niah Colby (Lunenburg, Vt.) opened the frame with a single and senior Abby Henderson (Rochester, N.H.) knocked a one-out hit before Harris' mammoth shot to tie the game. An error extended the inning and sophomore Jordyn Babin (New Ipswich, N.H.) plated two more with a base hit as PSU went ahead, 5-3.
- The Greyhounds used a two-out rally to regain the lead in the next half inning after loading the bases on an error, single and walk. The next batter ripped a bases-clearing double to put Moravian in the lead, 6-5.
- Moravian added two more unearned runs in the fifth and a single run in the seventh to cap the scoring.
Inside the Numbers (Moravian):
- Henderson, Harris and junior Sam Cushing (Amherst, N.H.) each had two hits.
- Harris' blast was her fifth career long ball after finishing tied for the team lead with four a year ago.
- McCann gave up eight runs in total, though only one was earned, while going five innings in her first career start. Miller relieved and struck out three over the final two frames.
- Plymouth State is back on the field for another pair of games Saturday (Mar. 7). The Panthers face Penn State-Behrend at 4:00 p.m., before closing out the day against Millikin at 6:15 p.m.
– 30 –