Picard drives in four as bats come alive
LEESBURG, Fla. – Sophomore Emily Picard (Berlin, N.H.) reached base five times and drove in four runs to help the Plymouth State University softball team to a pair of wins at THE Spring Games on Sunday.
Picard homered, walked and drove in two as the Panthers racked up 11 hits, including four for extra bases, in an 11-2 win over Becker College in the first game of the day. She added another three hits, one of four players with a multi-hit game, in the afternoon's 8-5 win over Penn State-Berks.
The sweep improves Plymouth State to 4-2. The Panthers are off tomorrow before getting back on the field Tuesday (Mar. 10) for another two contests.
Plymouth State 11, Becker 2 (6 Innings)
Plymouth State 8, Berks 5
Plymouth State (4-2)
How it Happened (Becker):
- Picard gave the Panthers a 2-0 lead as she launched a home run to left in the top of the second. Senior Abby Henderson (Rochester, N.H.) followed with a single and eventually came home on a base hit from freshman Rachyl Parslow (Temple, N.H.) to make it 3-0.
- Becker trimmed the margin to 3-2 with a pair of runs in the third but got the runs right back in the next half inning thanks to a pair of Hawks' throwing errors.
- PSU blew the game open with a six-run sixth inning. The Panthers loaded the bases with one down and Parslow plated two runs with a double. Later in the inning, sophomore Lauren Archambault (Rehoboth, Mass.) made it 9-2 with a two-run single, before classmate Madison Harris (Randolph, Mass.) and junior Sam Cushing (Amherst, N.H.) each drove in runs.
Inside the Numbers (Becker):
- Archambault, Cushing and Parslow each had two hits, while Parslow drove in three runs.
- Picard and Archambault each had two RBI.
- Freshman Sam McCann (Berlin, N.H.) picked up her first career win (1-2) going all six innings while striking out five.
How it Happened (Berks):
- The Nittany Lions used a two-out rally to take a 2-0 lead in the top of the first, but Picard and Henderson drove in runs in the bottom half to even the game at 2-2.
- Berks added single runs in the third and fourth, but the Panthers used a five-run bottom of the fourth to take control. Cushing, Picard and Henderson each had run-scoring hits in the frame.
- Henderson drove in an insurance run in the sixth.
- Berks got a run back in the seventh but wouldn't really threaten.
Inside the Numbers (Berks):
- Cushing went 4-for-4 at the dish, scored twice and drove in one.
- Picard (3-for-4, two RBI) and Henderson (3-for-4, three RBI) also had big games, while Parslow singled, doubled and walked.
- Senior Caitlyn Miller (Lee, N.H.) improved to 3-0 on the year.
- The Panthers are off on Monday (Mar. 9), before facing Wheaton (Ill.) and Bridgewater State on Tuesday afternoon.
– 30 –