Miller dominant in opener, Panthers shocked in nightcap
CLERMONT, Fla. – Senior Caitlyn Miller (Lee, N.H.) struck out seven while allowing just four hits as Plymouth State University split a pair of games at THE Spring Games on Tuesday.
Miller had a strong performance in the circle while sophomore Emily Picard (Berlin, N.H.) had three hits and drove in two runs to lead the Panthers to an 8-1 win over Wheaton (Ill.) College in the first game of the afternoon.
Three players had multiple hits and PSU held a 5-2 lead heading into last of the seventh in the nightcap, but Bridgewater State University rallied for a walk-off win with four runs in its final at bat to top the Panthers, 6-5.
Plymouth State ends the day with a 5-3 mark. Wheaton falls to 3-2, while Bridgewater State moves to 2-2.
Plymouth State 8, Wheaton (Ill.) 1
Plymouth State 5, Bridgewater State 6
Plymouth State (5-3)
Wheaton (Ill.) (3-2)
Bridgewater State (2-2)
How it Happened (Wheaton (Ill.)):
- Wheaton used a two out hit to plate a run in the top of the first, but the Panthers came back in the third.
- Sophomore Lauren Archambault (Rehoboth, Mass.) walked, went to third on classmate Madison Harris' (Randolph, Mass.) single, then came home on a passed ball. Picard came up with a two out single to score Harris as PSU went ahead, 2-1.
- Picard started a two-out rally in the fifth with her second base hit of the game. Pinch runner Jackie Haigh (Wakefield, R.I.) swiped second and scored on senior Abby Henderson's (Rochester, N.H.) single and Henderson later came around to score on an error to make it 4-1.
- PSU put the game out of reach an inning later. Picard's third hit, a bases loaded single, scored one run before Henderson worked a walk to make it 6-1. A hit batter and walk plated two more as the lead grew to 8-1.
- Miller worked around a pair of singles in the seventh to close out the win.
Inside the Numbers (Wheaton (Ill.)):
- Picard went 3-for-3 with a walk, scored a run and drove in two. Henderson and junior Rylee MacMillan (Groton, Conn.) each had two hits.
- Miller was in control throughout, needing just 64 pitches to improve to 4-0. She struck out seven and allowed four hits.
How it Happened (Bridgewater State):
- BSU got single runs in the first and third to build a 2-0 lead, but the Panthers answered with a three-run fourth to pull ahead.
- Picard drove in a run on a fielder's choice, while senior Jen Landers (Berlin, N.H.) added an RBI single and MacMillan drove in one with a double.
- Picard singled home Henderson in the fifth as PSU extended its lead to 4-2 and the Panthers added another run in the sixth after a Bears' error.
- With one out and one on in the bottom of the seventh BSU strung together three straight singles to cut the margin to 5-3 with the bases loaded. The Panthers got a strikeout for the second out, but back-to-back base hits gave the Bears the walk-off win.
Inside the Numbers (Bridgewater State):
- Harris and Landers each finished 2-for-4, while MacMillan went 2-for-3 at the plate.
- Picard drove in two runs and scored another.
- Freshman Sam McCann (Berlin, N.H.) went six-plus innings, allowing six hits and three runs (two earned) while striking out four.
- Miller took the loss in relief (4-1).
- Plymouth State will face Simmons and Catholic in two more games on Wednesday (Mar. 11) evening.
– 30 –