Einarsdottir, Kuus continue strong seasons for Panthers
STOWE, Vt. – Sophomore Freydis Einarsdottir (Gardabaer, Iceland) and freshman Karl Kuus (Toronto, Ont.) continued their outstanding seasons Friday, leading the Plymouth State University alpine ski teams in the giant slalom at the University of Vermont Winter Carnival at Stowe Mountain.
Einarsdottir placed fifth out of nearly 80 skiers in the women's race, while Kuus finished eighth out of 80 on the men's side. Both Panther racers posted their top GS place and their fourth straight top-10 finish in alpine racing, including their second consecutive in the giant slalom.
Kuus helped the Panthers place sixth out of 13 teams in the men's standings, while Einarsdottier led the Panther women to seventh place in the women's standings.
Eastern Intercollegiate Ski Association (EISA) Giant Slalom
Univ. of Vermont Carnival, Stowe Mountain, Stowe, Vt. – Friday, Feb. 3, 2017
Plymouth State Men – 6th of 13 Teams; Plymouth State Women – 7th of 13 Teams
MEN'S 1) UVM 116 2) DAR 104 3) SMC 89 4) SLU 84 5) WIL 65 6) PSU 63 7) MID 62 8) CBC 61 9) CSC 50 10) UNH 27 11) BC 25 12) BAT 21
WOMEN'S 1) DAR 107 2) SMC 100 3) MID 97 4) CBC 90 5) UVM 87 6) UNH 81 7) PSU 73 8) BAT 47 9) CSC 46 10) WIL 40 11) BC 20 12) SLU 17 12) HAR 17
* Kuus placed eighth in Friday's GS after finishing ninth in the GS last week, while Einarsdottir took fifth Friday after placing 10th a week ago.
* Two other Panthers finished in the top 30 in the women's race, as senior Charlotte Lemgart (Vaerloese, Denmark) placed a season-best 21st and junior Amelia Rowland (Carrabassett Valley,Maine) was 30th, her best finish this season in the GS.
* The next four Panther men after Kuus finished between 25th and 34th -- senior Kyle Farrow (Collingwood, Ont.) was a season-best 25th, junior Bryce Eller (Mammoth Lakes, Calif.) was a season-best 29th, freshman Logan Martin (Edwards, Colo.) was 32nd (his best in the GS), and junior Danny Blake (Orchard Park, N.Y.) was 34th (his best in the GS).
* Host UVM captured the men's team title over runner-up Dartmouth College and third-place Saint Michael's College, while Dartmouth outscored Saint Michael's and third-place Middlebury in the women's team standings.
* The UVM Carnival continues on Saturday at Stowe with men's and women's slalom races.
-- 30 --