Yates, Gonzalez post top performances for Panthers
LAKE PLACID, N.Y. – Sophomores Cooper Yates (Richmond, B.C.) and Ander Gonzalez (Pamplona, Spain) were the top finishers as the Plymouth State University alpine ski teams kicked off the 2019 Eastern Intercollegiate Ski Association (EISA) season with the slalom races at Whiteface Mountain during day one of the St. Lawrence Winter Carnival on Friday.
Yates earned a 10th place finish, with Gonzalez finishing just behind in 13th.
St. Lawrence Winter Carnival (Men's SL) – 8th of 13 Teams
St. Lawrence Winter Carnival (Women's SL) – 12th of 13 Teams
Team Champions (Men):
* Dartmouth took home the team title with 120 points, with the University of New Hampshire (94) and St. Michael's College (87) rounding out the top three.
* The Panthers accumulated 57 points to end up in eighth place.
Team Champions (Women):
* Dartmouth earned the sweep, taking first in the women's slalom with 124 points, ahead of the University of Vermont (107) and UNH (101).
* PSU totaled 15 points to hold off Harvard University for 12th place.
How it Happened (Men):
* Yates sat in 20th following his first run time of 48.35, but jumped into the top-10 with a 47.43 second run for a combined time of 1:35.78.
* Gonzalez finished his first run in 49.12, good enough for 28th place, but improved to 13th with a second run of 47.39 for a total time of 1:36.51.
* Junior Karl Kuus (Toronto, Ont.) posted a blistering time of 46.99 in his first run to finish tied for eighth, but did not finish his second run.
How it Happened (Women):
* Smith opened with the 50th fastest time (54.44), then followed with a run of 57.15 to place 42nd overall in the field of 73 with a combined time of 1:51.59.
* Kosik had the 53rd fastest time in her first run (55.53), before moving up ten spots after a time of 59.94 in her second run to end up 43rd overall (1:55.47).
* Senior Freydis Einarsdottir (Gardabaer, Iceland) was in ninth place after her opening run of 47.07, but couldn't complete her second run.
* The carnival will continue tomorrow as both teams compete in the giant slalom.
– 30 –