Kuus, Watson, Einarsdottir all with top-20 finishes
LAKE PLACID, N.Y. – Sophomore Karl Kuus (Toronto, Ont.), freshman Hunter Watson (Ottawa, Ont.) and senior Freydis Einarsdottir (Gardabaer, Iceland) all posted top-20 finishes as the Plymouth State University alpine ski teams wrapped up the St. Lawrence Winter Carnival with the giant slalom Saturday at Whiteface Mountain.
Kuus finished 14th for the men, with Watson just behind in 16th, while Einarsdottir took 19th on the women's side.
St. Lawrence Winter Carnival (Men's GS) – 7th of 13 Teams
St. Lawrence Winter Carnival (Women's GS) – 8th of 13 Teams
Team Champions (Men):
* St. Michael's College was the team champion with 119 points, narrowly holding off Dartmouth College (116), with Middlebury College taking third (93).
* The Panthers totaled 62 points to finish seventh.
Team Champions (Women):
* Dartmouth earned the sweep on the women's side after taking the slalom on Friday. The Big Green piled up 133 points to finish ahead of the University of New Hampshire (109) and the University of Vermont (103).
* PSU compiled 41 points to take eighth place.
How it Happened (Men):
* Kuus posted the 15th fastest first run (1:06.46), before following up with a 1:07.26 for a combined time of 2:13.72 to finish 14th overall.
* Watson sat in 22nd after his initial run of 1:07.16, but his second run (1:06.93) was the 10th fastest as he moved into 16th with a combined time of 2:14.09.
* Junior Michael Townsend (Layton, Utah) was the fifth Panther to complete both runs, totaling 2:20.75 to finish 46th among the 83 racers.
* Junior Logan Martin (Edwards, Colo.) also competed for Plymouth State.
How it Happened (Women):
* Einarsdottir finished 19th overall with a combined time of 2:24.53. Her first run of 1:12.01 was the 17th fastest, while she completed run two in 1:12.52.
* Freshman Rachel Smith (Stowe, Vt.) sat in 44th after her initial run of 1:15.05, but moved into 39th after her second run (1:15.45) resulted in a combined time of 2:30.50.
* Junior Rachel Kosik (Goodrich, Mich.) posted runs of 1:21.03 and 1:24.55 for a combined 2:45.58 to finish 48th among the field of 74.
* Sophomore Gigi Quimby (Dunstable, Mass.) was in 30th after her first run of 1:13.29, but was unable to complete a second run, while freshman Liz Kiresuk (Roseville, Minn.) and junior Ashley Houser (Ramsey, N.J.) also raced for PSU.
* The Panthers will be competing on their home course next weekend during the UNH Winter Carnival at Mittersill on Cannon Mountain.
– 30 –