Watson, Einarsdottir post top finishes for Panthers
FRANCONIA, N.H. – Freshman Hunter Watson (Ottawa, Ont.) and senior Freydis Einarsdottir (Gardabaer, Iceland) were the top finishers for the Plymouth State University alpine ski teams as the Panthers opened the University of New Hampshire Carnival with the giant slalom at Mittersill on Cannon Mountain on Friday.
Watson finished 22nd, just ahead of junior Karl Kuus (Toronto, Ont.) on the men's side, while Einarsdottir took 25th on the women's side.
Conditions were tough, as 70 total racers were unable to complete two full runs.
UNH Carnival (Men's GS) – 6th of 13 Teams
UNH Carnival (Women's GS) – 13th of 13 Teams
Team Champions (Men):
* Dartmouth College captured the team title with 138 points, with the University of Vermont (102) and the University of New Hampshire (88) rounding out the top three.
* The Panthers totaled 22 points to finish in 13th, just three points shy of Colby-Sawyer College.
Team Champions (Women):
* Dartmouth earned the sweep, taking the women's team title as well. The Big Green totaled 136 points, topping UNH's 100 points. Middlebury College took third with 87.
* PSU secured 58 points to finish sixth.
How it Happened (Men):
* Watson sat in 16th after his first run of 1:03.83 and moved into 22nd overall with a second run of 1:09.35 for a combined 2:13.18.
* Kuus posted the 17th fastest time after his opening run of 1:03.93, but slid back to 23rd following his second run time of 1:09.33 for a 2:13.26 total time.
* Thirty-three members of the field of 85 were unable to complete both runs.
How it Happened (Women):
* Einarsdottir was PSU's top female finisher in the GS for the second straight weekend. Her opening run of 1:09.24 was good enough for 32nd. She moved up to 25th after posting a 1:14.14 for a combined time of 2:23.38.
* Freshman Rachel Smith (Stowe, Vt.) finished 32nd with a combined time of 2:26.34. Her opening run of 1:11.16 put her in 44th, but she moved up considerably with a second run of 1:15.18.
* Junior Ashley Houser (Ramsey, N.J.) was one of 37 racers unable to finish two clean runs.
* PSU returns to the slopes tomorrow for the slalom races.
– 30 –