Kuus, Watson narrowly miss top-10 finishes
STOWE, Vt. – Junior Karl Kuus (Toronto, Ont.) and freshman Hunter Watson (Ottawa, Ont.) narrowly missed out on top-10 finishes to lead the Plymouth State University alpine ski teams in the slalom races at the University of Vermont Carnival at Stowe Mountain Resort on Saturday.
Kuus and Watson finished 12th and 13th on the men's side, while sophomore Gigi Quimby (Dunstable, Mass.) led the Panther women with a 28th place finish.
UVM Carnival (Men's SL) – 5th of 13 Teams
UVM Carnival (Women's SL) – 12th of 13 Teams
Team Champions (Men):
* Dartmouth picked up the team win with 118 points to top the University of Vermont (106) and Middlebury College (93).
* PSU totaled 73 points to finish fifth as a team.
Team Champions (Women):
* The Big Green captured the women's team title as well, amassing 138 points to top Colby College (102) and Middlebury (99).
* PSU totaled 34 points to finish 12th.
How it Happened (Men):
* Kuus posted a first run of 55.16 to hold 11th, while Watson sat in 24th with an initial run of 56.65.
* Kuus held steady, dropping one spot after his second run of 57.15, while Watson made a big move with the ninth fastest time among the second runs (56.62) to climb to 13th.
* Sophomore Ander Gonzalez (Pamplona, Spain) posted a combined 1:55.28 to finish 24th.
How it Happened (Women):
* Quimby found herself in 38th after her opening run (1:09.66), while freshman Rachel Smith (Stowe, Vt.) held 35th with a first run of 1:09.30.
* Junior Rachel Kosik (Goodrich, Mich.) wasn't far behind, sitting in 39th with a first run of 1:09.82, and all three moved up following their second runs.
* Senior Freydis Einarsdottir (Gardabaer, Iceland) made a huge push in her second run, shaving exactly 22 seconds off her initial run time. Her 1:02.95 second run was the 19th fastest of the day to catapult her into 40th.
* PSU heads to Dartmouth Skiway next weekend for the Dartmouth College Carnival, starting with the GS on Friday (Feb. 8).
– 30 –