Watson leads Panthers with 20th place finish
LYNE, N.H. – Freshman Hunter Watson (Ottawa, Ont.) posted a 20th place finish to lead the Plymouth State University alpine ski teams in the slalom races at the Dartmouth College Carnival at Dartmouth Skiway on Saturday.
Watson led the men's side, while classmate Rachel Smith (Stowe, Vt.) was the lone female competitor for the Panthers.
Dartmouth Carnival (Men's SL) – 8th of 13 Teams
Dartmouth Carnival (Women's SL) – 13th of 13 Teams
Team Champions (Men):
* Dartmouth defended its home turf to win the men's slalom with 270 points. The University of Vermont (216) and Middlebury College (178) rounded out the top three.
* Plymouth State accumulated 112 points to finish eighth.
Team Champions (Women):
* The Big Green earned a clean sweep as the women amassed 264 points to top UVM (218) and the University of New Hampshire (182).
* Smith was unable to complete both runs on the course, leaving the Panthers with zero team points.
How it Happened (Men):
* Watson sat in 25th following an opening run of 48.25, and moved into 20th with a combined time of 1:39.67.
* Freshman Trevor Maxwell (West Linn, Ore.) took 25th in his first EISA race of the year with a combined time of 1:40.27.
* Sophomore Cooper Yates (Richmond, B.C.) blazed down the course in his first run, sitting in 13th with a tie of 47.41, but the field caught up to him in the second run as he finished 27th overall.
* Sophomore Ander Gonzalez (Pamplona, Spain) and junior Logan Martin (Edwards, Colo.) also completed both runs for the Panthers. Gonzalez finished 35th in 1:41.73, with Martin taking 47th with a total time of 1:42.95.
* Plymouth State treks to the Middlebury Snow Bowl next weekend for the Middlebury College Carnival, with slalom races taking place on Friday (Feb. 15) and GS on Saturday (Feb. 16). The Panthers will then return to Dartmouth Skiway next Sunday (Feb. 17) to make-up yesterday's postponed GS race.
– 30 –