Kuus, Watson post top-25 finishes for Panthers
HANCOCK, Vt. – Junior Karl Kuus (Toronto, Ont.) and freshman Hunter Watson (Ottawa, Ont.) posted top-25 finishes to lead the Plymouth State University alpine ski teams in the giant slalom in the Middlebury College Carnival at Middlebury Snow Bowl on Saturday.
Kuus finished 20th, with Watson ending up in 25th, while freshman Trevor Maxwell (West Linn, Ore.) was just behind in 27th.
Sophomore Gigi Quimby (Dunstable, Mass.) was the top PSU woman, sitting in 64th after her opening run, but was unable to complete a second run.
Middlebury Carnival (Men's GS) – 5th of 13 Teams
Middlebury Carnival (Women's GS) – 13th of 13 Teams
Team Champions (Men):
* Middlebury took the men's team title with 136 points to hold off Dartmouth College (122) and University of Vermont (94).
* PSU finished fifth in the team standings with 64 points.
Team Champions (Women):
* It was UVM taking the women's team title with 127 points, finishing ahead of Middlebury (118) and Dartmouth (110).
* PSU was held scoreless as no Plymouth State women could complete both runs.
How it Happened (Men):
* Maxwell posted the fastest first run for the Panthers, finishing in 1:02.71 to sit in 19th. Watson (1:02.84) was 22nd, with Kuus (1:02.92) in 24th after their first runs.
* Kuus put down the 13th fastest second run to jump into 20th with a combined 2:08.12. Watson ended up in 25th with a combined 2:08.66, with Maxwell right behind with a 2:09.24.
How it Happened (Women):
* Kosik was 68th after an opening run of 1:12.28, with Houser in 69th with a 1:14.31.
* All three were unable to complete second runs.
* Also competing for the Panthers was freshman Rachel Smith (Stowe, Vt.).
* Plymouth State wraps up a rare three-race weekend with a stop at the Dartmouth Skiway, as the teams make up last week's postponed GS race.
– 30 –