Kuus, Watson top Panthers' finishers again
LYME, N.H. – Racing for a third straight day, junior Karl Kuus (Toronto, Ont.) and freshman Hunter Watson (Ottawa, Ont.) were the top finishers once again as the Plymouth State University alpine ski teams competed in the Dartmouth Carnival giant slalom at Dartmouth Skiway on Sunday.
The original race was canceled last week due to unsafe race conditions. Although the race was an official rescheduling, there was no team scoring as the day's results counted only towards individual qualification to the NCAA Championships.
Kuus posted a top-25 GS finish for the second straight day, finishing 24th, while Watson finished just 0.20 seconds behind him to place 28th. Freshman Rachel Smith (Stowe, Vt.) was the top finisher on the women's side after placing 48th.
Dartmouth Carnival (Men's GS) – No Team Score
Dartmouth Carnival (Women's GS) – No Team Score
How it Happened (Men):
* Kuus posted the 12th fastest opening run, finishing in 1:02.55, and following with a 1:00.11 second run to end up 23rd with a combined 2:02.66.
* Watson was a touch slower in his initial run with a 1:02.91, but cracked the one-minute barrier with a 59.95 second run to finish in 2:02.86 for 27th.
* Sophomore Ander Gonzalez (Pamplona, Spain) and freshman Trevor Maxwell (West Linn, Ore.) were in 61st and 65th following their first runs, but both were among the 30 racers unable to complete a second run.
How it Happened (Women):
* Smith was the lone woman to compete both runs. She sat in 50th after her opening 1:08.62, then posted a 1:05.13 second run for a combined 2:13.75 to finish 47th.
* Junior Rachel Kosik (Goodrich, Mich.) was in 65th after her initial run of 1:12.73, but was unable to compete a clean second run.
* PSU heads to Sunday River Resort next weekend for the New England Regionals hosted by Bates College. The teams will compete in the GS on Friday (Feb. 22) and wrap up with the slalom on Saturday (Feb. 23).
– 30 –