Kuus extends recent success; Einarsdottir finishes 20th
NEWRY, Maine – Junior Karl Kuus (Toronto, Ont.) continued a string of strong performances and senior Freydis Einarsdottir (Gardabaer, Iceland) posted a top-20 performance as the Plymouth State University alpine ski teams competed in the slalom to wrap up the NCAA New England Regionals hosted by Bates College at Sunday River on Saturday.
Kuus notched his fourth top-ten finish of the year and second of the weekend after placing fifth. Sophomore Cooper Yates (Richmond, B.C.) finished 18th, with freshman Hunter Watson (Ottawa, Ont.) ending up 22nd to lead the men's team to a fourth place finish.
Einarsdottir was the top female finisher for the Panthers for the fifth time this season after capturing 20th place.
New England Regionals / Bates Carnival (Men's SL) – 4th of 13 Teams
New England Regionals / Bates Carnival (Women's SL) – 12th of 13 Teams
Team Champions (Men):
* Dartmouth swept the weekend, earning the men's team title with 135 points. The University of Vermont (95) finished second, with Middlebury (84) taking third.
* The Panthers finished a close fourth with 81 points.
Team Champions (Women):
* UVM won the women's team title with 131 points, as Dartmouth took second (127). The University of New Hampshire rounded out the top three with 95 points.
* PSU ended up 12th with 26 points.
How it Happened (Men):
* Kuus and Yates relied on dynamic second runs to claim their top-20 finishes. After an opening run of 58.12 seconds Kuus posted the ninth fastest second run (54.84) to finish fifth with an overall time of 1:52.96.
* Yates was back in 30th after an initial run of 1:00.18, but his 54.58 second run was the fifth-best to jump him all the way to 18th with a combined time of 1:54.76.
* Watson finished 22nd with a combined 1:56.94, while freshman Trevor Maxwell (West Linn, Ore.) took 34th in 2:00.24.
How it Happened (Women):
* Einarsdottir followed a similar path on the way to her top-20 finish. Her opening run of 1:01.32 left her in 26th, but she blazed down the hill in 57.01 on her second run, the 11th best time of the day, to move up to 20th with a combined 1:58.33.
* Kosik was in 61st with her first run of 1:09.28, with Smith right behind in 63rd (1:10.07), but the two put together strong second runs. Smith finished with a total time of 2:16.64, while Kosik finished in 2:18.68.
* Sophomore Gigi Quimby (Dunstable, Mass.) also raced for the Panthers.
* Plymouth State will now wait for the NCAA to announce the field for the 2019 National Collegiate Skiing Championships, though Kuus is a near certainty to be among the 16 men representing the East. The field will officially be announced by press release on NCAA.com on Tuesday (Feb. 26) afternoon.
– 30 –