Kuus, Yates lead men to fourth place finish
STOWE, Vt. – Senior Karl Kuus (Toronto, Ontario) and junior Cooper Yates (Richmond, British Columbia) both finished among the top-15 to lead the Plymouth State University men's alpine ski team to a fourth place finish in the slalom as the Panthers wrapped up the UVM Carnival at Stowe Mountain Resort on Saturday.
Kuus finished eighth and Yates took 13th for the men, while freshman Carmela Olmo (Lleida, Spain) was the top female finisher for the Panthers.
UVM Carnival (Men's SL) – 4th of 13 Teams
UVM Carnival (Women's SL) – 13th of 13 Teams
Team Champions (Men):
- UVM took the top spot with 121 points to finish ahead of Dartmouth (113) and Middlebury (89).
- The Panthers accumulated 76 points to their best team finish of the young season.
Team Champions (Women):
- Middlebury (127) led the women's field, with UVM (101) and Colby College (87) rounding out the top three.
- Plymouth State totaled 14 points.
How it Happened (Men):
- Kuus posted a 1:50.60, just 1.90 seconds off the winner's pace.
- Yates used a strong second run to finish in 1:51.50.
- Junior Ander Gonzalez (Pamplona, Spain) took 27th in 1:59.30, just ahead of freshman Liam McKim (Franconia, N.H.), who posted a 2:00.00 flat to take 29th.
How it Happened (Women):
- Olmo and freshman Lili Flachbart (Hamilton, Mass.) were the only PSU females to complete both runs.
- Olmo posted a 2:08.50 to finish 45th, while Flachbart completed both runs in a combined 2:10.40 to take 49th.
- PSU travels to Sugarloaf Mountain next weekend (Jan. 31 – Feb. 1) for the Colby Carnival.
– 30 –