Yates leads Panthers in difficult conditions
CARRABASSETT VALLEY, Maine – Junior Cooper Yates (Richmond, British Columbia) posted a 16th-place finish to lead the Plymouth State University alpine ski teams through tough conditions in the giant slalom at Sugarloaf Mountain during day one of the Colby Carnival on Friday.
Junior Ander Gonzalez (Pamplona, Spain) was just 0.19 seconds behind Yates for 18th, while freshman Liam McKim (Franconia, N.H.) also finished in the top 30. Freshman Camryn Metzger (Thornbury, Ontario) sat in 25th-place following her first run, but she was unable to finish a second.
The carnival concludes with slalom races tomorrow.
Colby Carnival (Men's GS) – 6th of 13 Teams
Colby Carnival (Women's GS) – 13th of 13 Teams
Team Champions (Men):
- Dartmouth led the way with 122 points, with UNH (111) and Middlebury (106) rounding out the top three.
- PSU finished with 66 points to finish just three behind Williams for sixth place.
Team Champions (Women):
- Dartmouth earned the sweep after scoring 136 point. UVM (116) and Middlebury (91) made up the rest of the top three.
- Without a racer able to complete both runs, Plymouth State was held scoreless.
How it Happened (Men):
- Yates posted a 1:00.91 in his first run and finished his second in 1:02.59 for a combined 2:03.50 to lead the Panthers.
- Gonzalez used a strong second run to finish with a combined 2:03.69, just behind Yates in 18th.
- McKim was the third finisher for PSU, ending up in 30th with a time of 2:07.29.
How it Happened (Women):
- Metzger had a solid first run but was unable to complete a second. Freshman Zoe Simpson (Portland, Ore.) was also unable to complete her second run.
- Freshman Carmela Olmo (Lleida, Spain) and sophomore Katie Townsend (Layton, Utah) each completed a first run, but did not qualify for a second.
- The teams are back at it tomorrow (Feb. 1) for the slalom.
– 30 –