Yates takes sixth for men, Metzger 13th for women
CARRABASSETT VALLEY, Maine – Junior Cooper Yates (Richmond, British Columbia) and freshman Camryn Metzger (Thornbury, Ontario) were the top finishers for the Plymouth State University alpine ski team as the Panthers closed out the Colby Carnival with the slalom at Sugarloaf Mountain on Saturday.
Yates set a new season standard for PSU skiing with a sixth-place finish to lead the men, while Metzger led the women with a 13th-place finish.
Colby Carnival (Men's SL) – T-6th of 13 Teams
Colby Carnival (Women's SL) – T-8th of 13 Teams
Team Champions (Men):
- UVM earned the top spot with 130 points to finish ahead of Dartmouth (104) and Middlebury (96).
- PSU totaled 65 points to finish tied with St. Lawrence for sixth.
Team Champions (Women):
- Dartmouth posted to top team performance with 120 points, with UNH (97) holding off Middlebury (96) for second.
- Plymouth State earned 47 points to end up in a tie with St. Michael's College for eighth.
How it Happened (Men):
- Yates sat in a tie for fourth after a blazing first run of 49.01 but dropped back to a sixth-place tie with a 55.72 second run for a 1:44.73 combined time.
- Junior Ander Gonzalez (Pamplona, Spain) finished 27th with a 1:51.30, with freshman Liam McKim (Franconia, N.H.) crossing the finish line in 1:52.67 to finish 33rd.
How it Happened (Women):
- After back-to-back DNFs over her last two races, Metzger returned to form with a solid day. She sat in 12th after an opening run of 56.69 and was one of just a handful of skiers with a faster second run (56.39) to finish 13th in 1:52.98.
- Freshman Carmela Olmo (Lleida, Spain) ended up 37th with a time of 1:59.49, with classmates Lili Flachbart (Hamilton, Mass.) and Zoe Simpson (Portland, Ore.) taking 46th and 49th, respectively.
- Flachbart completed the course in 2:03.13, with Simpson right behind in 2:04.95.
- The Panthers head back to Maine again next weekend for the Bates Carnival at Sunday River Resort.
– 30 –