Kuus finishes ninth, Olmo paces women
NEWRY, Maine – Senior Karl Kuus (Toronto, Ontario) finished ninth and the Plymouth State University men's alpine ski had three finishers in the top-20 as the Panthers opened the Bates Carnival at Sunday River Resort with the slalom races on Friday.
Kuus posted his third top-ten slalom finish of the year, while junior Cooper Yates (Richmond, British Columbia) and sophomore Hunter Watson (Ottawa, Ontario) ended up 19th and 20th to lead the men to a fifth-place team finish.
Freshman Carmela Olmo (Lleida, Spain) was the lone female skier to complete both runs for the Panthers, finishing 43rd.
Bates Carnival (Men's SL) – 5th of 13 Teams
Bates Carnival (Women's SL) – 13th of 13 Teams
Team Champions (Men):
- Dartmouth posted the top team finish with 120 points, while UVM (110) held off Middlebury (107) for second.
- Plymouth State accumulated 76 points to finish nine in back of UNH (85).
Team Champions (Women):
- Dartmouth took the team title on the women's side as well after totaling 110 points. UNH (105) and Colby (97) rounded out the top three.
- PSU earned nine points, just one in back of Colby-Sawyer.
How it Happened (Men):
- Kuus posted the 11th-fastest opening run with a time of 54.68 but moved up two slots with a 58.77 second run to finish ninth with a combined time of 1:53.45.
- Yates took 19th with a 1:56.62 to finish just ahead of Watson, who posted a 1:57.35.
- Sophomore Tommy Shantler (Buffalo, N.Y.) finished 27th in 2:00.31, while junior Ander Gonzalez (Pamplona, Spain) took 33rd in 2:02.23.
How it Happened (Women):
- Freshman Camryn Metzger (Thornbury, Ontario) sat in 12th following a strong opening run of 54.33 but was unable to complete her second run.
- Olmo finished 43rd with a time of 2:00.53.
- Freshman Maci St. Cyr (Manhattan, Mont.) made her debut for the Panthers.
- The teams are back on the hill tomorrow (Feb. 8) for the giant slalom.
– 30 –