Watson posts program-best finish
BOZEMAN, Mont. – Sophomore Hunter Watson (Ottawa, Ontario) led a trio of Plymouth State University men's alpine skiers in the giant slalom at the 2020 National Collegiate Skiing Championships at Bridger Bowl Ski Area on Wednesday.
Watson recorded a new program-best GS finish on the sport's biggest stage with his 16th place performance. Junior Cooper Yates (Richmond, British Columbia) took 28th, while senior Karl Kuus (Toronto, Ontario) finished 30th. As a team Plymouth State accrued 19 points to rank tenth among the 13 schools represented.
All three will be back on the slopes for the slalom on Friday (Mar. 13).
National Collegiate Skiing Championships (Men's GS) – 10th of 13 Teams
How it Happened:
- Watson sat in 23rd following his initial run of 54.60, but poste the 13th-fastest second run (54.46) for a combined 1:49.06.
- The time was just 0.07 seconds shy of a top-15 performance and surpassed the previous program best (17th) set by Kuus two years ago.
- Yates was one spot ahead of Watson after a 54.59 opening run but fell back to post a 1:51.70.
- Kuus, who became the first Panther to appear in four national championship races, struggled in his first run, but posted the ninth fastest second run of the day (54.30) to finish 30th in 1:52.32.
- The Panthers will take advantage of an off day tomorrow before heading back to the slopes for the slalom races on Friday (Mar. 13). First run is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. EST
– 30 –