Wyland, Emerson and Lawrence score in double figures in loss
A strong defensive effort by the Spartans defense helped give the Castleton a 10-4 lead after one and the Panthers were never able to catch back up. Each time PSU cut into the deficit, Castleton would respond with a run of its on to take the victory.
Glenbrook Gym, Castleton, Vt. – Tues., Nov. 22, 2016
Plymouth State 58, Castleton 49
Plymouth State 1-1; Castleton 2-0
* Wyland … 11 points (5-of-8), five rebounds, three assists
* Lawrence … 10 points, three assists
* Emerson … 10 points, team-high seven rebounds
* Sophomore Kailyn Aguiar (Acushnet, Mass.) … six points (3-of-5), six rebounds
* Senior Savannah Miller (Smithtown, N.Y.) … five points, four rebounds, team-high three steals
BY THE NUMBERS
* The Panthers shot 41.2% (21-of-51) from the field, including 4-of-12 from behind the three-point line, but they struggled from the free throw line, making only 3-of-15 attempts from the charity stripe.
* Castleton shot 37.9% (22-of-58) from the field, including 5-of-20 from behind the three-point line, and 56.3% (9-of-16) from the free throw line.
* The rebounding battle was even, as each team grabbed 37 total rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
* Castleton scored the first four points of the game, but Plymouth State responded with the next four points, including a three-pointer by sophomore Debra Morrill (Concord, N.H.) that tied the game with 6:14 remaining in the first quarter.
* The Panthers would not score the rest of the opening quarter, as junior Morgan Raiche (Ira, Vt.) hit consecutive baskets to help the Spartans open up a 10-4 advantage at the end of the first quarter.
* Plymouth State scored the first four points of the second quarter to cut its deficit to two (10-8), but the Spartans responded with 12-straight points.
* The Panthers scored the final five points of the opening half on a three-pointer by Lawrence and a jumper by Emerson to pull to within nine at 26-17 at halftime.
* PSU closed to within two at 32-30 thanks to an 8-0 run midway through the third quarter, with Emerson scoring the final four points of the run.
* Castleton closed out the third quarter with an 11-2 scoring run over the final two-and-a-half minutes, led by two three-pointers from senior Lindsay Sabo (Stanhope, N.J.), to extend its lead back to 11 at 45-34.
* The Panthers made one final push at the start of the fourth quarter, beginning with a three-pointer by Miller and capped by consecutive baskets from Aguiar to close the Spartan lead to 49-43 three minutes into the quarter.
* The Castleton defense held Plymouth State scoreless for more than four minutes to preserve the victory.
Plymouth State vs. Colby-Sawyer, Plymouth, N.H. – Tues., Nov. 29 (6:00 p.m.)
Castleton vs. New England College, Castleton, Vt. – Wed., Nov. 30 (7:30 p.m.)
*** Courtesy of Castleton University Sports Information ***
-- 30 --