Lawrence, Wyland lead Panthers in back-and-forth battle
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Freshman Chelsea Dow (White River Junction, Vt.) hit two big three-pointers in the fourth quarter to help guide Colby-Sawyer College past Plymouth State University, 63-55, in women's basketball action at Foley Gymnasium on Tuesday night. The rookie finished with a career and game-high 16 points.
Seniors DeAsia 'Ace' Lawrence (Middletown, Conn.) and Kayla Wyland (Melrose, Mass.) led the Panthers with 12 points each. PSU trailed 55-54 with 3:39 to play, but Dow scored eight-straight points for the Chargers, including a pair of back-breaking three-pointers, to secure the win.
Foley Gymnasium, Plymouth, N.H. – Tues., Nov. 29, 2016
Plymouth State 55, Colby-Sawyer 63
Plymouth State 1-2; Colby-Sawyer 4-1
* Lawrence … 12 points, two assists
* Wyland … 12 points, five rebounds
* Sophomore Cassidy Emerson (Concord, N.H.) … five points, three assists, team-high eight rebounds
* Senior Savannah Miller (Smithtown, N.Y.) … team-high three steals, three assists, seven rebounds
BY THE NUMBERS
* Plymouth State finished at 37.5% from the floor (21-of-56), and 30% (3-of-10) from long range.
* Colby-Sawyer shot 42.6% (26-of-61) from the field, including 8-of-20 (40%) from downtown.
* The Panthers held a slight edge on the glass, out-rebounding the Chargers 34-30.
* PSU again used its strong bench to its advantage, as the Panther reserves outscored their counterparts 21-13.
HOW IT HAPPENED
* Colby-Sawyer jumped out to a 9-2 lead over the game's first three minutes behind the sharp-shooting of senior Lexi Iannone (North Haven, Conn.). The guard had seven of the nine points on three-of-three shooting, including a three-pointer, to open the game.
* Plymouth State responded with a 10-2 run to take its first lead of the game (12-11) on a jumper by Emerson with just under a minute to play in the quarter.
* A three-pointer from freshman Lexie Hamilton (Sunapee, N.H.) with 33 seconds left in the frame put the Chargers back in front 14-12.
* The teams were scoreless through the first two minutes of the second quarter until Lawrence drained a three-pointer from the right wing off a feed from Miller to put the Panthers up 15-14.
* The teams exchanged one-point leads until a layup from sophomore Kailyn Aguiar (Acushnet, Mass.) and jumper from sophomore Jess Conant (Canton, Maine) gave the Panthers a 23-18 lead with 3:24 to play in the half.
* The Chargers answered with a 6-2 spurt to knot the score at 24-24. Senior Kristin Ellis (South Easton, Mass.) had four points in the run.
* A free throw from sophomore Debra Morrill (Concord, N.H.) and a steal and fast-break layup by Miller gave the Panthers a 27-24 halftime lead.
* Wyland connected from inside to put Plymouth State ahead 29-24, matching the Panthers' largest lead of the game just 26 seconds into the third quarter.
* Hamilton answered with five straight points for the Chargers, and moments later a three-pointer from Dow put Colby-Sawyer back in front 32-31.
* CSC used a 7-0 spurt to pull ahead 39-35 with 3:07 to play in the quarter, but Lawrence nailed a long triple to stop the run. A layup by Lawrence in the final minute of the quarter again cut the Panther deficit to one (43-42).
* Colby-Sawyer extended the lead to 48-44 behind a three-pointer from junior Amanda Calvo (South Deerfield, Mass.) in the opening minutes of the fourth quarter.
* Again PSU answered, this time with a 7-0 run capped by a triple in the left corner from senior Leah Swanson (Atkinson, N.H.), to pull ahead 51-48 with just under eight minutes remaining.
* Colby-Sawyer fought back and a deep three-pointer from the left wing by Dow put the Chargers in front 60-54 with 3:05 left in the game.
* Dow connected from long range again a couple of minutes later to put the game out of reach for the Panthers. A free throw from Emerson capped the scoring.
Plymouth State @ Lyndon State, Lyndonville, Vt. – Thurs., Dec. 1 (7:30 p.m.)
Colby-Sawyer @ Green Mountain, Poultney, Vt. – Wed., Nov. 30 (7:30 p.m.)
-- 30 --