Wyland's double-double not enough as Panthers fall
NEWTON, Mass. – Senior Kayla Wyland (Melrose, Mass.) notched her first double-double of the season, netting 16 points while pulling down 10 rebounds, but it wasn't quite enough as the Plymouth State University women's basketball team fell to Lasell College 49-47 in non-conference action from The Athletic Center on Tuesday night.
In a back-and-forth game the Lasers were able to outlast the Panthers down the stretch. The game saw seven ties and 12 lead changes, with neither team holding a lead larger than seven points.
The Athletic Center, Newton, Mass. – Tues., Dec. 6, 2016
Plymouth State 47, Lasell 49
Plymouth State 1-5 (0-1 LEC); Lasell 3-4 (0-1 GNAC)
* Wyland … 16 points, 10 rebounds, two blocks
* Senior DeAsia 'Ace' Lawrence (Middletown, Conn.) … 10 points, three steals, three rebounds
* Sophomore Cassidy Emerson (Concord, N.H.) … six points, six rebounds
* Senior Leah Swanson (Atkinson, N.H.) … eight points, six rebounds, three assists, two steals
BY THE NUMBERS
* The Panthers struggled from the floor, connecting on 17-of-68 (25.0%) and just hitting just 1-of-14 three-point attempts. Lasell finished 7-of-19 from long range, including three from junior Brianna Hoffman (Milford, N.H.).
* PSU held a 47-38 advantage on the glass.
* The Lasell bench provided a huge spark, accounting for 27 points to Plymouth State's 15.
HOW IT HAPPENED
* In a back-and-forth first quarter, Plymouth State took an early 3-2 lead when Wyland connected from long range for her first triple of the season.
* A Wyland layup gave the Panthers a 7-6 advantage midway through the quarter. Moments later Wyland and Lawrence both connected from inside to give the Panthers' their largest lead of the quarter, 11-6, with 4:47 to play.
* Hoffman hit a layup then drained a three-pointer to knot the game at 11-11 with 3:31 left.
* PSU took a 15-14 lead when Emerson hit a jumper with less than 30 seconds to play, but sophomore Taylor Hughey's (Redding, Calif.) triple gave Lasell a 17-15 lead after one.
* The Lasers answered with eight of the next 12 points to tie the game at 15-15 with 4:35 left in the half.
* Lasell went up by four, 29-25, after a three-pointer from junior Morgan Church (New London, N.H.) with 3:31 in the half.
* A layup from Lawrence would be the only other points in the quarter, as Lasell took a 29-27 lead into halftime.
* The Lasers used a 5-0 run over the first 3:24 of the third quarter to pull ahead by seven, 34-27.
* PSU answered with a 9-3 run over the next five minutes to cut the margin to 37-36 with 1:36 remaining in the quarter, but Hoffman answered with another triple.
* Wyland had a pair of free throws, and Lasell added a jumper to make it a 42-38 Laser lead heading into the fourth.
* A jumper from Lawrence made it a one-possession game early in the fourth quarter, but Hughey answered with a three to put the Lasers up 45-40 with 7:40 remaining.
* PSU used a 5-0 run over the next three minutes to even the game at 45-45.
* Lasell went back up by three, 48-45, when Hoffman connected on one-of-two free throw attempts with just under two minutes to play.
* A layup from Lawrence cut the margin to 48-47 with 30 ticks left on the clock. Sophomore Becca Fenton (East Hartford, Conn.) pushed the lead back to two for the Lasers, 49-47, after hitting one-of-two from the free throw line with 17 seconds to play.
* The Panthers had two opportunities to tie to score in the final seconds, but neither shot would go down as Lasell hung on for the win.
* Plymouth State will play its fourth straight road game Thursday, when the Panthers travel to Salem State University for a non-conference game (7:00 p.m.).
* Lasell is off until Saturday when the Lasers host Emerson College with a 1:00 p.m. tip-off.
-- 30 --