Swanson leads Panthers with 19 points and four three-pointers
The Panthers, who trailed by as many as 20 points in the first half, used a 12-0 run in the fourth quarter to tie the game at 51-51 with less than three minutes to play. Salem State would hold PSU scoreless down the stretch, however, and a late steal by junior Saran Kaba (Dorchester, Mass.) set up classmate Norma Waggett (Saugus, Mass.) for an easy bucket that would help seal the Vikings win.
Twohig Gymnasium, Salem, Mass. – Thurs., Dec. 8, 2016
Plymouth State 51, Salem State 59
Plymouth State 1-6 (0-1 LEC); Salem State 6-3 (0-0 MASCAC)
* Swanson … 19 points, five rebounds, three steals
* Senior Annaliese Schmidt (Newmarket, N.H.) … seven points, 11 rebounds, two steals
* Senior Kayla Wyland (Melrose, Mass.) … seven points, 10 rebounds, two steals
* Sophomore Kailyn Aguiar (Acushnet, Mass.) … six points, five rebounds
* The Panthers held a slight edge on the glass, outrebounding Salem State 50-44.
* Plymouth State's reserves accounted for 40 of the team's 51 points, and outscored the Salem State bench 40-11.
HOW IT HAPPENED
* Salem State jumped out to a quick 9-0 lead, sparked by senior Kaitlyn Bryan's (Lowell, Mass.) seven early points.
* A pair of free throws from senior Maddy Beatrice (Newton, Mass.) cut the PSU deficit to 14-7 late in the quarter.
* Junior Kate Lipka (Peabody, Mass.) connected from long range for the Vikings to open the second quarter, but Swanson answered with her first triple to make it 17-10 just 2:14 into the quarter.
* The Vikings answered with a 13-0 run, including a two three-pointers from Bryan.
* Junior Elisabeth Caron (Londonderry, N.H.) got PSU back on the scoreboard, connecting on one-of-two free throws with 3:04 left in the half, leading to six straight points for the Panthers and cutting the margin to 30-16 heading into halftime.
* Salem State maintained a double-digit lead through most of the third quarter.
* Swanson's second three pointer helped PSU score the last five points of the quarter to trail 43-35 after three.
* Back-to-back three's from Lipka and sophomore Kia Fernandes (Wareham, Mass.) pushed the Vikings' lead back to double figures, 51-39, with 6:08 to play.
* Plymouth State rallied behind the energized play of Swanson. A 12-0 spurt, including nine from Swanson, deadlocked the game at 51-51 with 2:53 left.
* Salem State took a 53-51 lead after a pair of Vikings both went one-of-two from the free throw line, giving the Panthers the ball with 38 seconds to play.
* That set up Kaba's steal and Waggett's layup to lock up the win. Kaba added a pair of free throws in the final seconds to close the scoring.
* Plymouth State closes out the fall semester with a home LEC game on Saturday. PSU will face UMass-Dartmouth at 1:00 p.m.
* Salem State is also back in action on Saturday. The Vikings will host Endicott College at 3:00 p.m.
-- 30 --