Wyland paces Panthers in LEC setback
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Sophomore Nakira Examond (New Bedford, Mass.) connected on seven-of-eight attempts from the floor on the way to a game-high 20 points to lead the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth past Plymouth State University, 64-42, in a key Little East Conference (LEC) women's basketball game at Foley Gymnasium.
Junior Alicia Kutil (Franklin, Mass.) was also a force inside for the Corsairs, adding 10 points and 10 rebounds while dishing out a game-high six assists.
Plymouth State heads into Finals Week with a 1-7 mark (0-2 LEC) while UMass-Dartmouth improves to 7-1 (1-1 LEC).
Foley Gymnasium, Plymouth, N.H. – Sat., Dec. 10, 2016
Plymouth State 42, UMass-Dartmouth 64
Plymouth State 1-7 (0-2 LEC); UMass-Dartmouth 7-1 (1-1 LEC)
* Wyland … 15 points, eight rebounds, two assists, one block
* Beatrice … eight points, two rebounds, two steals
* Senior DeAsia 'Ace' Lawrence … six points, two steals
* Sophomore Kailyn Aguiar (Acushnet, Mass.) … four points, four rebounds, two steals
* Examond … game-high 20 points, six rebounds, two steals, one block
* Kutil … 10 points, 10 rebounds, six assists, one block
* Freshman Kayla McMahon (Hanover, Mass.) … 10 points
* Sophomore Danyel Gonzalez (Providence, R.I.) … eight points, three steals
BY THE NUMBERS
* Plymouth State finished at 21.7% from the floor (13-of-60), and was unable to connect from beyond the arc (0-of-15).
* UMD finished shooting an even 50.0% (25-of-50) from the floor, and 12-of-14 (85.7%) from the charity stripe.
* The Corsairs owned a 42-27 advantage on the boards.
* Plymouth State forced 30 UMD turnovers, but could only convert them into 11 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
* Examond wasted little time to get going, at one point scoring nine straight points for the Corsairs, helping put the visitors up 12-4 midway through the first quarter.
* Wyland had four straight for PSU to make it 19-8 with 2:28 left in the frame.
* UMD upped the lead to 25-8 with a 6-0 run to close the quarter, including a triple for senior Rachel McCarron (Groton, Mass.) and three more points for Examond.
* The Corsairs maintained a lead through the second period.
* Beatrice netted four straight for PSU to make it 37-21 with 1:34 left in the half, but McMahon hit a pair of free throws and a jumper to push the lead back to 20, 41-21, at the break.
* After a layup from Gonzalez, Plymouth State got jumpers from senior Savannah Miller (Smithtown, N.Y.) and Aguiar to make it 43-25 just over a minute into the quarter.
* UMD answered with an extended 13-1 run to build up the lead to 56-26 with 3:30 left in the quarter.
* Lawrence broke the run with a pair of free throws to close the third quarter.
* Plymouth State used an 8-2 spurt to cut the deficit to 62-38 midway through the fourth quarter. Wyland had four points in the run, while senior Leah Swanson (Atkinson, N.H.) added a steal and breakaway layup.
* After a bucket from McMahon the Panthers added four more points, all from the charity stripe, to wrap up the scoring.
* The Panthers will take some time off for final exams and the holidays before kicking off the New Year with a game at Newbury College on Thurs., Jan. 5 (7:00 p.m.).
* UMass-Dartmouth will play three more games in 2016, starting Tuesday (Dec. 13) at Johnson & Wales. Tip-off is set for 6:00 p.m.
-- 30 --