Emerson leads Panthers in LEC setback
DANBURY, Conn. – Sophomore Cassidy Emerson (Concord, N.H.) finished with a team-best 11 points as Plymouth State University fell 62-48 to Western Connecticut State University in a Little East Conference (LEC) women's basketball game at Feldman Arena on Saturday afternoon.
WCSU jumped out to a 12-2 lead to open the game, and led comfortably for the majority of the afternoon. A late PSU run cut the margin to ten points, 58-48, with 1:38 to play, but the Colonials closed out the game with three defensive stops and perfect shooting from the charity stripe to earn the LEC victory.
Feldman Arena, Danbury, Conn. – Sat., Jan. 14, 2017
Plymouth State 48, Western Connecticut 62
Plymouth State 3-9 (1-4 LEC); Western Connecticut 10-5 (3-2 LEC)
* Emerson … 11 points (5-of-7), three rebounds
* Sophomore Kailyn Aguiar (Acushnet, Mass.) … eight points, eight rebounds
* Senior Kayla Wyland (Melrose, Mass.) … six points, eight rebounds
* Senior Annaliese Schmidt (Newmarket, N.H.) … three points, seven rebounds
BY THE NUMBERS
* The Panthers connected on 19-of-56 shots (33.9%) from the field while holding the Colonials to just 18-of-61 (29.5%), but the hosts drained ten shots from beyond the arc (10-of-20) compared to PSU's one.
* WCSU owned a 49-39 advantage on the boards.
* The Plymouth State bench outscored its counterparts by a 31-17 margin.
HOW IT HAPPENED
* The hosts jumped out to a quick 12-2 lead in the game's first five minutes.
* Wyland stopped the run with back-to-back buckets for the Panthers, but freshman Gabrielle Hurlbert (Thomaston, Conn.) answered with consecutive triples.
* Senior Maddy Beatrice (Newton, Mass.) sank one-of-two free throws to make it 18-7 at the end of the first.
* Senior Leah Swanson (Atkinson, N.H.) had three quick points to make it 18-10 in the opening minute of the second quarter, but WCSU answered with a 7-0 run.
* Emerson connected from long range as time expired, cutting the Panther's margin to 32-19 at the intermission.
* The Colonials opened the second half with an 8-2 burst, including a pair of triples from senior Emily Dobson (Westerly, R.I.), to pull ahead 40-21 in the quarter's first 3:27.
* PSU used an 8-0 run, capped by a layup from Schmidt, to make it 40-29 with 3:42 to play in the frame, but WCSU again responded scoring seven of the quarter's final nine points to lead 47-31 after three.
* Another Dobson three-pointer ballooned the WCSU lead to 20 points, 54-34, in the first three minutes of the final quarter.
* After a WCSU free throw Plymouth State mounted a comeback. The Panthers scored nine straight points, before a triple from sophomore Jancy Sherwood (Poughquag, N.Y.) stopped the run.
* PSU responded with the next five points to cut it to 58-48 with 1:38 remaining, before WCSU closed out the game with four free throws.
* The Panthers are home for the next five games, starting with a 6:00 p .m. tip-off against Mount Holyoke College on Monday.
* WCSU squares off against Eastern Connecticut State University on Wednesday (5:30 p.m.) in an LEC game.
-- 30 --