Lawrence, Aguiar pace Panthers in non-conference win
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Senior DeAsia 'Ace' Lawrence (Watertown, Conn.) and sophomore Kailyn Aguiar (Acushnet, Mass.) scored 13 and 12 points respectively, helping lead Plymouth State University past Mount Holyoke College, 63-44, in women's college basketball action at Foley Gymnasium on Monday night. The Panthers have alternated wins and losses in their five games this month, improving to 4-9 overall.
PSU led from start to finish, with Lawrence opening the scoring with a triple. Plymouth held a 7-6 lead halfway through the first quarter when the hosts used a 15-3 run to close the quarter with a 22-9 advantage. The lead was never in jeopardy through the remainder of the game.
Foley Gymnasium, Plymouth, N.H. – Mon., Jan. 16, 2017
Plymouth State 64, Mt. Holyoke 44
Plymouth State 4-9 (1-4 LEC); Mt. Holyoke 2-13 (0-8 NEWMAC)
* Lawrence … game-high 13 points (5-of-7, 3-of-4 from long range), two assists
* Aguiar … 12 points, team-high seven rebounds
* Senior Leah Swanson (Atkinson, N.H.) … nine points, two steals, two assists
* Senior Maddy Beatrice (Newton, Mass.) … five assists, three steals, two rebounds
* Freshman Katlyn Grover (Bernardston, Mass.) … 11 points, three rebounds
* Sophomore Leah Hodges (New Haven, Conn.) … 10 points, seven rebounds, two steals, two blocks
* Senior Xajaah Williams-Flores (The Bronx, N.Y.) … eight points, game-high 14 rebounds
* Sophomore Zahkeyah Allen (Philadelphia, Penn.) … four points, four steals, two rebounds
BY THE NUMBERS
* The Panthers shot 39.7% from the field (25-of-63), while the Lyons finished 19-of-53 (35.8%).
* PSU held a 41-34 edge on the boards, while outscoring MHC 34-12 in the paint.
* Plymouth State got an impressive 31 points from its reserves.
HOW IT HAPPENED
* Lawrence opened the scoring by connecting from beyond the arc and the teams traded baskets over the first five minutes.
* Aguiar hit from inside, followed by Lawrence's second long ball, to spark a 13-0 run for the Panthers.
* Grover stopped the run with a three-pointer of her own, before Aguiar closed the scoring with a layup to give the hosts a 22-9 advantage after one.
* PSU opened the second quarter with a 10-2 run, upping the lead to 32-11, after Swanson hit twice from close range.
* Grover nailed her second triple to slow the run, but Swanson answered from downtown for the Panthers.
* Senior Lindsy Poulin (Goffstown, N.H.) got in the scoring column with a layup, but Allen answered for MHC with a bucket just before the half expired to make it 41-21 at the break.
* Hodges had a pair of buckets in the opening minutes of the third quarter, but the Panthers answered with eight-straight points. A jumper from sophomore Jess Conant (Canton, Maine) capped the run, giving PSU its largest lead, 54-27, with 4:59 left in the frame.
* Mount Holyoke scored ten-straight points through the first half of the final quarter, cutting the Panther lead to 57-40, but an Aguiar jumper slowed the run.
* The two teams traded buckets, with a Conant layup making the final score 63-44.
* The Panthers will continue their four-game home stand with an LEC game against rival Keene State College on Wednesday (5:30 p.m.).
* Mount Holyoke will look to stop its nine-game skid on Saturday when the Lyons host Babson College in a NEWMAC game at 1:00 p.m.
-- 30 --