Schmidt posts double-double for Panthers
KEENE, N.H. – Senior Annaliese Schmidt (Newmarket, N.H.) posted a double-double with 10 points and 14 rebounds but Keene State College used a strong fourth quarter to pull away from Plymouth State University, 73-54, in a Little East Conference (LEC) women's basketball game from Spaulding Gymnasium.
Schmidt's 14 rebounds were a game-high and she added three steals and two assists to her stat line. Classmates Kayla Wyland (Melrose, Mass.) and DeAsia 'Ace' Lawrence (Middletown, Conn.) both also finished in double figures. Wyland dropped 12 points, with Lawrence netting 11.
A three-pointer from senior Savannah Miller (Smithtown, N.Y.) gave PSU a 30-23 lead in the second quarter, but Keene State junior Lydia Vital (Cambridge, Mass.) connected on back-to-back triples as part of an 8-0 run. Plymouth State took a 32-31 lead into halftime after sophomore Cassidy Emerson (Concord, N.H.) hit a jumper. PSU trailed by just five, 55-50, with 6:33 to play but the Owls used a 10-0 run to put the game out of reach.
Spaulding Gymnasium, Keene, N.H. – Wed., Feb. 8, 2017
Plymouth State 54, Keene State 73
Plymouth State 5-15 (2-9 LEC); Keene State 15-7 (8-3 LEC)
* Schmidt … 10 points, game-high 14 rebounds, three steals, two assists
* Wyland … team-high 12 points (6-of-12), four rebounds, two blocks
* Lawrence … 11 points
* Emerson … seven points, six rebounds
BY THE NUMBERS
* The Panthers finished 20-of-59 (33.9%) from the floor, while KSC connected on 31-of-74 attempts (40.5%).
* The Owls held a slight 49-42 advantage on the boards.
HOW IT HAPPENED
* KSC went up 13-6 after a long ball from Vital, but the Panthers quickly closed the gap. A Lawrence jumper and a triple from Emerson made it a 13-11 deficit with 3:29 left in the quarter.
* Schmidt made back-to-back buckets to tie the score at 15-15 with less than a minute to play.
* Freshman Rachel Bonnanzio's (Middlebury, Conn.) put-back at the buzzer put the Owls ahead 17-15 after one.
* Lawrence connected from beyond the arc to put PSU back in front in the opening seconds of the second quarter.
* Plymouth State maintained the lead and Miller's triple gave PSU its largest lead, 30-23, with 4:05 left in the half.
* Vital connected twice from beyond the arc and a layup from senior Amanda Petrow (Methuen, Mass.) put the Owls back in front, 31-30, two minutes later.
* Emerson closed the half with a jumper to give the Panthers a 32-31 halftime lead.
* Senior Stephanie D'Annolfo (Tyngsborough, Mass.) put the hosts in front for good in the opening minute of the third quarter.
* A jumper from senior Maddy Beatrice (Newton, Mass.) cut the deficit to 43-39 with just under three minutes left in the quarter.
* Vital connected just before the buzzer to put the Owls in front 47-41 at the end of the third quarter.
* Lawrence hit a jumper to make it 55-50 with 6:49 to play, but the hosts answered with a 10-0 run to take control.
* The Owls maintained a double-digit advantage through the final buzzer.
* The Panthers are on the road again Saturday when they face UMass Boston in an LEC match-up. Game time is set for 1:00 p.m.
* Keene State will look to win its fifth-straight game when they host Western Connecticut in a 1:00 p.m. LEC contest on Saturday.
-- 30 --