Panthers knock off Huskies for first time since 2003
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Seniors Kayla Wyland (Melrose, Mass.), DeAsia 'Ace' Lawrence (Middletown, Conn.) and Annaliese Schmidt (Newmarket, N.H.) all finished in double figures as the Plymouth State University women's basketball team defeated the University of Southern Maine, 59-51, in a Little East Conference (LEC) match-up on Play4Kay Night at Foley Gymnasium. The win was the first for the Panthers over the Huskies since January 21, 2003, a stretch of 30-straight games.
Wyland led the hosts with 13 points, while Lawrence had 12 and Schmidt added 10. Schmidt also pulled down a game-high 11 rebounds to post her third double-double of the year. PSU was able to win despite a game-high 19 points from Southern Maine freshman Jackie Luckhardt (Londonderry, N.H.).
PSU held a slight 25-24 lead with less than three minutes to play in the first half but closed the quarter with a 7-0 run to take a 32-24 lead into the intermission. USM twice cut the deficit to one point in the third quarter, but each time the Panthers responded and PSU maintained the lead throughout the fourth.
With the victory PSU moves to 7-16 overall and 4-9 in league games. The seven wins are the most since the 2010-11 campaign, and the four LEC victories are the most since 2009-10. PSU is now tied with the Huskies for sixth place in the conference standings with one regular-season game remaining.
Foley Gymnasium, Plymouth, N.H. – Thurs., Feb. 16, 2017
Plymouth State 59, Southern Maine 51
Plymouth State 7-16 (4-9 LEC); Southern Maine 5-19 (4-9 LEC)
* Wyland … 13 points, five rebounds, three blocks
* Lawrence … 12 points, two assists
* Schmidt … 10 points, 11 rebounds
* Sophomore Kailyn Aguiar (Acushnet, Mass.) … eight points, six rebounds, two assists
* Sophomore Cassidy Emerson (Concord, N.H.) … five points, five rebounds, two assists, two steals
* Luckhardt … game-high 19 points, six rebounds
* Freshman Chantel Eells (Turner, Maine) … 10 points, seven rebounds, two assists, two blocks
* Sophomore Alex Srolovitz (Montreal, QC) … nine points, two steals
* Junior Emily Nicholson (Quispamsis, N.B.) … seven points
BY THE NUMBERS
* PSU finished 22-of-55 (40.0%) from the field, while holding USM to 17-of-58 (29.3%).
* The Panthers owned a decided 47-32 advantage on the boards.
|PSU women's basketball on Play4Kay Night
HOW IT HAPPENED
* Southern Maine started the game with six straight points until senior Savannah Miller (Smithtown, N.Y.) got the Panthers on the board with a layup.
* Emerson completed an old-fashioned three-point play to cut the margin to 8-7 with 4:23 to play, and moments later Wyland's jumper gave the hosts their first lead.
* USM answered with eight of the last 12 points to take a 16-13 lead into the second quarter.
* Luckhardt made a layup off a pretty feed from Nicholson to put the visitors in front 20-17 after the opening 2:24 of the second quarter.
* Aguiar gave the Panthers the lead, 23-22, after her layup with 4:18 left in the quarter, and moments later Schmidt extended the lead.
* Lawrence put PSU up 30-24 when she sank a deep three as the shot clock expired and Aguiar's layup pushed the advantage to 32-24 at the intermission.
* Plymouth State extended the lead to double-digits, 36-26, when senior Leah Swanson (Atkinson, N.H.) made an acrobatic layup three minutes into the third quarter.
* The Huskies answered with a 9-0 spurt, including a big three from Nicholson, to cut the lead to 36-35 with two minutes left in the frame.
* Wyland connected on three-of-four attempts from the charity stripe to take a 41-37 lead into the fourth.
* Luckhardt completed a three-point play to cut the margin to 45-40 with 8:27 remaining.
* Two minutes later Srolovitz swished a triple from the right wing to cut it to 45-43, but Schmidt hit a jumper and Lawrence buried a three from the right corner to extend the lead to 50-43 with 4:38 to play.
* The teams traded baskets over the next three minutes and a pair of freebies from junior Miranda Nicely (Farmington, Maine) cut it to a 54-49 lead with less than a minute to play.
* Wyland swished two key free throws and Swanson drew a huge charge in the final seconds to wrap up the win.
* The Panthers will celebrate Senior Day on Saturday when they host Western Connecticut in an LEC battle. Game time is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.
* Southern Maine also finishes the season with a league home game on Saturday. The Huskies will face UMass Dartmouth at 1:00 p.m.
-- 30 --