Panthers downed by defending LEC regular season champs
DARTMOUTH, Mass. – Senior Jess Conant (Canton, Maine) scored a team-high 12 points but the Plymouth State University women's basketball team fell to defending regular season Little East Conference (LEC) champions University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, 72-44, in a game at the Tripp Athletic Center on Saturday afternoon.
The Panthers trailed by four, 21-17, after a jumper by freshman Maysen Tyler (Bridge City, Texas) with 3:30 left in the second quarter, but the Corsairs closed the half with a 10-4 spurt, aided by a three-pointer at the buzzer, to take a 31-21 lead into the second half.
UMD used a 15-0 run over the first six minutes of the third quarter to put the game out of reach. The Panthers pulled to within 18 early in the fourth quarter, but the hosts answered with a triple and maintained a 20-point lead the rest of the way.
With the setback PSU falls to 5-3 (0-2 LEC), while the Corsairs remain unbeaten at 6-0 and 2-0 in league play.
Plymouth State 44, UMass Dartmouth 72
Plymouth State 5-3, 0-2 LEC
UMass Dartmouth 6-0, 2-0 LEC
How it Happened:
* Sophomore Elizabeth McLaughlin (Melvin Village, N.H.) got the Panthers off to a good start when she drained a three on the first possession.
* The Corsairs answered with a 9-3 spurt, sparked by seven points from junior Kayla McMahon (Hanover, Mass.) to take a 9-5 lead midway through the first quarter.
* Junior Chenysse Hill (Lynn, Mass.) and senior Cassidy Emerson (Concord, N.H.) hit from inside to tie the game at 9-9 with three minutes to play, but the Corsairs closed the frame on a 8-2 run to lead 17-11 after the first.
* The teams traded baskets to start the second and Tyler hit back-to-back buckets to pull PSU to within 21-17 with 3:30 left in the half, but sophomore Meagan Donovan (Abington, Mass.) buried a triple on the ensuing possession.
* Junior Brittany Roche (Londonderry, N.H.) connected twice from the charity stripe to make it 26-21 with less than a minute to go, but freshman Jessica Carroll (Deep River, Conn.) hit from long range just before the buzzer to give the hosts a 31-21 lead at the half.
* The Corsairs came out of the break on fire, using a 15-0 run to push the lead to 25, 46-21, over the first six minutes of the third quarter.
* Conant got to the rim in the final minute as the Panthers pulled to within 51-31 heading into the final ten minutes.
* Junior Mary Beitzel (Lancaster, Pa.) hit from inside, but the hosts answered from distance and the Panthers were unable to get any closer.
Inside the Numbers:
* Conant added four rebounds and two steals to her 12 points, while Emerson finished with nine points and seven boards.
* McLaughlin chipped in with seven points and seven rebounds, as Tyler and Beitzel each scored six points off the bench.
* Senior Nakira Examond (New Bedford, Mass.) led all players with 16 points and 11 rebounds.
* The Corsairs have won 18-straight regular season contests dating back to February 2017.
* Plymouth State visits Southern Maine on Wednesday (Dec. 5) for a 5:30 p.m. LEC contest.
* The Corsairs host Bowdoin College on Thursday (Dec. 6) in a non-conference game. Tip-off is set for 7:00 p.m.
– 30 –