Emerson posts fourth double-double in LEC setback
GORHAM, Maine – Senior Cassidy Emerson (Concord, N.H.) recorded her fourth double-double of the season, but Plymouth State University fell to the University of Southern Maine, 60-51, in a Little East Conference women's basketball game at Hill Gymnasium on Wednesday night.
The Panthers trailed by two, 51-49, with under three minutes to play, but USM closed out the game with a 9-2 run to escape with the win.
With the setback PSU drops to 5-4 (0-3 LEC), while the Huskies improve to 5-2 and 2-1 in LEC action.
Plymouth State 51, Southern Maine 60
Plymouth State 5-4, 0-3 LEC
Southern Maine 5-2, 2-1 LEC
How it Happened:
* The game went back and forth in the opening quarter. Junior Brittany Roche (Londonderry, N.H.) gave the Panthers a 7-6 lead after 4:19 of action when she connected from long range, but senior Alexa Srolovitz (Montreal, Que.) quickly put the Huskies back in front with a layup at the other end.
* A free throw from freshman Maysen Tyler (Bridge City, Texas) tied the game at 12-12 and senior Jess Conant (Canton, Maine) came up with a block on the defensive side to set up junior Chenysse Hill (Lynn, Mass.) for a 14-12 lead with a minute left in the quarter. Southern Maine scored from inside to tie it, but Hill connected from the free throw line to give PSU a 15-14 lead after one.
* The teams traded one-point leads through the first there minutes. Freshman Victoria Harris (Altus, Okla.) tied the game for the Huskies, 19-19, but Roche laid it in and connected from downtown as PSU took a 24-19 lead.
* Conant extended the lead to 26-21 with a jumper, but the hosts scored on the ensuing possession and the score would remain 26-23 into halftime.
* Plymouth State pushed the lead to seven, 36-29, midway through the third quarter and Hill's layup made it 43-37 with 2:12 remaining, but USM closed out the frame with a 6-0 run to knot the game at 43-all.
* Southern Maine used a 5-0 spurt to pull ahead over the first four minutes of the fourth quarter, aided by three free throws from Srolovitz. Hill and Emerson hit to cut the margin to 48-47, but USM sank a pair at the line. Emerson followed with another jumper to make it a one-point game with just under five minutes remaining.
* The Huskies' defense kicked it up a notch from there, holding PSU to just a Conant jumper during a 10-2 run to earn the win.
Inside the Numbers:
* Conant led the Panthers with 14 points on 6-of-12 shooting.
* Emerson finished 10 points and 11 rebounds, while Hill chipped in with nine points, five rebounds and four assists.
* Roche came off the bench for 11 points, including three triples, and senior Debra Morrill (Concord, N.H.) dished out a game-high five assists.
* PSU finished 39.6% from the floor to USM's 37.7% and outrebounded the Huskies by a 36-35 margin, but Southern Maine outscored the Panthers by a 20-6 margin from the charity stripe.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"We played three-and-a-half quarters of basketball," said head coach Allison Flynn, "but against a team like Southern Maine you have to play all four. I thought we played pretty well defensively and Cassidy [Emerson] did a great job on the boards and hitting some open shots."
* The Panthers close out the 2018 portion of their schedule at home with a league contest against Eastern Connecticut State on Saturday (Dec. 8). Tip-off is set for 1:00 p.m.
* Southern Maine hosts Rhode Island College in an LEC tilt Saturday (Dec. 8) at 1:00 p.m.
– 30 –