Conant paces Panthers with 10 points
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Freshman Willcia McBorrough (Providence, R.I.) scored a game-high 15 points and grabbed nine rebounds to lead Rhode Island College to a 57-38 win over Plymouth State University in a Little East Conference women's basketball game at Foley Gymnasium on Saturday afternoon.
Plymouth State came out of the gates on fire, hitting on four of their first five attempts from the floor to take an early lead, but the Anchorwomen rallied to pull ahead, 13-10, at the end of the first quarter. RIC extended the lead to as many as 12 in the second quarter, but senior Debra Morrill (Concord, N.H.) connected on a runner from the left side just ahead of the buzzer to make it 31-21 at the break.
RIC picked up the defensive pressure in the third quarter, outscoring the Panthers 18-7, and Plymouth was unable to claw back in the fourth.
With the setback the PSU falls to 5-7 and 0-5 in the Little East, while Rhode Island College improves to 10-3 and 3-2 in league play.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 38, RIC 57
Plymouth State (5-7, 0-5 LEC)
RIC (10-3, 3-2 LEC)
How it Happened:
* Seniors Jess Conant (Canton, Maine) and Cassidy Emerson (Concord, N.H.) and sophomore Elizabeth McLaughlin (Melvin Village, N.H.) all connected early as the Panthers built an 8-4 lead midway through the first quarter.
* RIC rallied with three straight baskets to pull ahead, before McLaughlin got inside to tie the game at 10-10.
* Sophomore Brooke Young (West Warwick, R.I.) drained a triple to give the Anchorwomen a 13-10 lead at the end of the first quarter.
* Junior Jordyn Gauvin (Fall River, Mass.) and Young connected from distance to start the second as RIC pulled ahead 23-12.
* The Anchorwomen went up as much as 12, but Morrill's runner off the glass made it a 31-21 game at the half.
* Junior Chenysse Hill (Lynn, Mass.) got inside to cut the margin to eight, 31-23, in the opening seconds of the third quarter, but RIC answered with a 10-3 run to regain control and the visitors went into the fourth quarter with a 49-28 advantage.
* Plymouth State outscored RIC over the final ten minutes, but the deficit was too large to overcome.
Inside the Numbers:
* Conant led the Panthers with 10 points, while McLaughlin and Hill added nine and seven, respectively.
* Emerson led PSU with five rebounds and added a pair of steals.
* Livramento came off the bench to provide eight points, 12 rebounds and three blocked shots for the Anchorwomen, while Gallagher and Young each scored nine points.
* RIC's strong inside play led to a 44-21 advantage on the boards, while the visitors outscored PSU by a 26-12 margin in the paint.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"We got some good looks, but had trouble getting hits," said head coach Allison Flynn. "We've got to work on getting into our flow."
* The Panthers continue a stretch of four straight Little East games this Tuesday (Jan. 8) when rival Keene State comes to Foley Gymnasium for a 5:30 p.m. contest.
* RIC hosts the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth in a league game on Tuesday (Jan. 8) at 5:30 p.m.
– 30 –