Tyler leads Panthers in LEC setback
WILLIMANTIC, Conn. – Freshman Maysen Tyler (Bridge City, Texas) led Plymouth State University with nine points but the Panthers fell to Eastern Connecticut State University, 76-41, in a Little East Conference (LEC) women's basketball game at Frances E. Geissler Gymnasium on Saturday afternoon.
The Warriors wasted little time jumping out to a 13-0 lead over the first 3:29 and the hosts owned a 20-7 advantage after one. ECSU continued to pressure the Panthers on the defensive end as the Warriors outscored PSU 23-9 in the second quarter to take a 43-16 lead into halftime. The Panthers warmed up in the second half, but the deficit was too much to overcome.
Plymouth State drops to 8-11 overall and 2-9 in LEC play, while Eastern Connecticut improves to 12-7 and 7-3 in league action.
Plymouth State 41, Eastern Connecticut 76
Plymouth State (8-11, 2-9 LEC)
Eastern Connecticut (12-7, 7-3 LEC)
How it Happened:
* In a sign of things to come, Eastern Connecticut opened the game with a three-pointer on its first possession and the Warriors raced out to a 13-0 lead.
* Junior Alex Ricard (Manchester, N.H.) broke the ice for the Panthers and twice PSU cut the margin to nine points.
* Sophomore Elizabeth McLaughlin (Melvin Village, N.H.) made it a 16-7 game with her jumper with 1:24 left in the quarter, but the hosts scored the final four points of the frame to lead 20-7 after one.
* The Warriors used a 10-2 run over the half of the second quarter to extend the advantage to 30-9, before freshman Brooke Beaudet (Gilford, N.H.) momentarily stopped the streak after hitting from long range. ECSU closed out the half with another extended run to lead 43-16 at the break.
* PSU's offense settled down in the second half but the margin was too much to overcome.
Inside the Numbers:
* Tyler led the Panthers with nine points, while Beaudet added six points and five rebounds.
* McLaughlin and Ricard each chipped in six points and six rebounds.
* Eastern Connecticut held a slight 44-35 edge in rebounding.
* The Warriors went 9-of-20 (45%) from beyond the arc, while holding PSU to 2-of-12 (16.7%) shooting from long range. Beaudet had both makes for the Panthers.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"We got out-played all around," said head coach Allison Flynn. "We need to come out ready for Wednesday."
* The Panthers travel to Keene State for a battle with the Owls on Wednesday (Jan. 30) at 5:30 p.m.
* Eastern Connecticut is also in league action on Wednesday (Jan. 30) when it visits the University of Massachusetts Boston.
– 30 –