Salzillo scores 21 as Swanson earns first career win
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Freshman Alessia Salzillo (Saugus, Mass.) scored a game-high 21 points to help interim head coach Leah Swanson get a win in her coaching debut as Plymouth State University topped Northern Vermont University-Johnson, 76-59, in a season-opening, non-conference women's basketball game at Foley Gymnasium on Tuesday night.
Plymouth State got off to a quick start, scoring the game's first 12 points and holding a 25-14 lead at the end of one. The Badgers cut into the deficit in the second quarter to trail 39-32 at the half, but PSU outscored their opponents by a 37-27 margin over the second half to win in the season opener.
PSU opens the season 1-0, while NVU-Johnson drops to 0-3 to start the year.
Plymouth State 76, NVU-Johnson 59
Plymouth State (1-0)
How it Happened.
- Plymouth State got off to a quick start when Salzillo buried a baseline jumper, then assisted on corner three by senior Brittany Roche (Londonderry, N.H.). Roche nailed another triple and a pair of buckets gave the Panthers a 12-0 lead midway through the first.
- Salzillo sank a jumper in the final minute as PSU extended to a 25-10 advantage, but the Badgers closed the quarter with a pair of baskets to make it 25-14 after one.
- NVU-Johnson opened the second quarter with a 10-2 spurt sparked by back-to-back triples by senior Lindsey LaPerle (Bethel, Vt.) to cut the Panthers' lead to 27-24.
- Salzillo stopped the run with a basket and pair of free throws and PSU pushed the advantage back to double-digits on freshman Keira Francis' (Columbia, Conn.) layup with 2:27 left in the half.
- The Badgers scored five of the final eight points to make the score 39-32 at the half.
- Salzillo sank a straight-away three off an in-bounds feed as the Panthers' pushed the lead to 47-35 four minutes into the third quarter.
- NVU-Johnson made one last push, cutting the deficit to eight, 60-52, early in the fourth quarter, but PSU used a 16-7 run the rest of the way to lock up the win.
Inside the Numbers:
- Salzillo finished 7-of-13 from the floor and added three steals and three assists, while Roche finished with 12 points and six rebounds.
- Francis added 12 points off the bench, with freshman Jalen Cook (Monkton, Vt.) contributing another 10 points, six rebounds, three assists and three blocks.
- LaPerle led the Badgers with 20 points, while junior Ellery Kiefer (Wayland, Mass.) added 18 points on 7-of-8 shooting to go with six rebounds.
- PSU held a 49-35 edge in rebounding and assisted on 17-of-28 baskets.
Straight From the Coach's Mouth:
"We had a lot of people step up," said Swanson. "It started with great leadership from our upperclassmen and the focus of our freshman tonight. It was a great team win. I'm proud of them."
- PSU heads to Norwich for another non-conference tilt on Thursday (Nov. 14) at 5:30 p.m.
– 30 –