Earle paces Panthers against run-and-gun Owls
WESTFIELD, Mass. – Freshman Bella Earle (South Hadley, Mass.) came off the bench to notch 18 points in just 12 minutes, but Plymouth State University fell to high-flying Westfield State University, 109-59, in a non-conference women's basketball game at the Woodward Center on Sunday afternoon.
The Panthers were able to hang with the high-scoring Owls through the first quarter trailing just 26-20, but Westfield State outscored PSU by a 30-14 margin in the second quarter. Westfield State, which led the nation in scoring last season, matched a program record by connecting on 18 three-pointers.
Earle was the lone Panther in double-figures, connecting on 7-of-12 from the floor, including all three of her attempts beyond the arc, while also adding two rebounds and two steals.
Plymouth State suffers its first loss of the year to drop to 2-1, while Westfield State remains unbeaten at 3-0.
Plymouth State 59, Westfield State 109
Plymouth State (2-1)
Westfield State (3-0)
How it Happened.
- The Owls got out to a hot start, connecting twice from distance in the opening three minutes to build an early 10-2 advantage.
- PSU used a 7-0 spurt late in the opening quarter to cut the deficit to 21-20, but Westfield hit a pair of free throws and nailed a triple to close the frame with a 26-20 lead.
- The hosts used a 10-1 surge to open the second quarter and would lead by double digits the rest of the way.
- Earle got inside for a layup and senior Brittany Roche (Londonderry, N.H.) connected from distance to make it a ten-point game, 36-26, midway through the second, but that was as close as the Panthers would get.
Inside the Numbers:
- Earle was the Panthers' top-scorer for the second straight game.
- Freshman Alessia Salzillo (Saugus, Mass.) added seven points, six rebounds, five assists and two steals, while Roche and senior Chenysse Hill (Lynn, Mass.) added six points apiece.
- Freshman Autumn Nelson (Weare, N.H.) chipped in five points, five assists, four steals and four rebounds.
- PSU recorded assists on 19 of 23 made baskets.
- Plymouth State returns home to host Rivier on Tuesday (Nov. 19) with tip-off set for 5:30 p.m.
– 30 –