Earle leads Panthers in non-conference setback
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Freshman Bella Earle (South Hadley, Mass.) scored a team-high 21 points off the bench, but Colby-Sawyer College used a 10-0 run in the second quarter to top Plymouth State University, 73-58, in a non-conference women's basketball game at Foley Gymnasium on Tuesday night.
The teams went back and forth through the first 15 minutes until Colby-Sawyer scored ten straight points to pull ahead at the half, 31-20, and the Chargers would maintain a double-digit cushion throughout the second half.
Plymouth State drops its second in a row to even its record at 3-3, while Colby-Sawyer improves to 5-1.
Plymouth State 58, Colby-Sawyer 73
Plymouth State (3-3)
How it Happened.
- The teams went back and forth through the first quarter and consecutive baskets by Earle and freshman Alessia Salzillo (Saugus, Mass.) knotting the score at 10-10 with 4:11 left in the frame.
- Chargers' senior Kristen Donaghey (Franklin, Mass.) gave the visitors a 17-12 advantage with just under two minutes to go, but Earle answered from down low to make it 17-14 after one.
- Salzillo's layup cut the deficit to one, 19-18, early in the second quarter, but Colby-Sawyer scored the next ten points. Senior Tianna Sugars (Oxford, Maine) and junior Joslin Wainwright (Plainfield, N.H.) each had four points in the stretch.
- Earle stopped the run with a jumper, but Sugars answered to give the Chargers a 31-20 halftime lead.
- Colby-Sawyer maintained a double digit lead throughout the second half.
Inside the Numbers:
- Earle finished 10-of-17 from the field and added two rebounds, while Salzillo added ten points, two rebounds and four steals.
- Freshman Jalen Cook (Monkton, Vt.) added nine points and a team-best six rebounds.
- Wainwright led four Chargers in double figures with her game-high 22 points, while senior Lexie Hamilton (Sunapee, N.H.) eclipsed the 1,000-point mark for her career with a 21-point effort, while also grabbing ten boards. Sugars chipped in with 15 points and 11 rebounds, while senior Kristen Donaghey (Franklin, Mass.) added 11 points off the bench.
- The Chargers held a 44-23 advantage on the boards.
- Plymouth State travels to New England College a week from Thursday (Dec. 5) for a 5:30 p.m. contest.
- Colby-Sawyer visits Salem State a week from Wednesday (Dec. 4) at 6:00 p.m.
– 30 –