Earle, Hill finish in double figures in LEC setback
DANBURY, Conn. – Freshman Bella Earle (South Hadley, Mass.) and senior Chenysse Hill (Lynn, Mass.) both finished in double figures, but Western Connecticut State University pulled away from Plymouth State University to top the Panthers, 89-51, in a Little East Conference (LEC) women's basketball game at Feldman Arena on Saturday afternoon.
The teams played a tightly contested first quarter, with the Colonials nursing a 20-17 lead entering the second stanza. Freshman Alessia Salzillo (Saugus, Mass.) drilled a three-pointer to tie the game at 22-22 just over a minute into the second, and Earle's jumper gave the Panthers a 24-22 lead, but WestConn used a 27-8 run over the remainder of the frame to build a 49-32 lead at the half. The hosts put the game out of reach with a strong third quarter before closing out the win.
With the setback, Plymouth State slips to 3-6 (0-2 LEC), while the Colonials move to 6-6 and 1-2 in the LEC.
Plymouth State 51, WestConn 89
Plymouth State (3-6, 0-2 LEC)
WestConn (6-6, 1-2 LEC)
How it Happened.
- Playing for the first time in nearly a full month, PSU took an early lead as freshman Jalen Cook (Monkton, Vt.) scored on the opening possession.
- The hosts used a 9-2 surge to pull ahead, but Hill's old-fashioned three-point play made it a two point game (9-7) with 5:44 left in the opening stanza.
- WestConn used the three-point shot to extend the lead to 18-9, but the Panthers closed out the first quarter with an 8-2 spurt to cut the deficit to 20-17 after one.
- The Colonials got a bucket on their first possession of the second quarter, but Earle answered at the other end and Salzillo drained a three to square the game at 22-22 after 1:11.
- Earle gave Plymouth State the lead with a short jumper 1:01 later. WestConn answered with a three to pull ahead, but Earle responded with another jumper for a 26-25 advantage with 6:41 left in the half.
- The hosts took control using a 24-6 burst. Earle's layup made it a nine-point game (38-29) with two minutes left in the half, but WestConn connected three times from distance to take a 49-32 lead at the half.
- The Colonials put the game out of reach in the third quarter, outscoring PSU by a 24-4 margin, before closing out the win in the fourth.
Inside the Numbers:
- Earle finished with 12 points on 6-of-14 shooting to finish in double digits for the fifth time this season and added five rebounds.
- Hill was 3-of-5 from the floor and 4-of-5 from the free throw line for her 10 points, to go along with five rebounds and five assists.
- Cook, Salzillo and senior Alex Ricard (Manchester, N.H.) each contributed eight points.
- WestConn hit 14 three-pointers (14-of-39) and held a 51-35 advantage on the glass.
- PSU returns home to host Keene State in another Little East contest on Tuesday (Jan. 7) at 5:30 p.m.
– 30 –