Cook nets a game-high 13 points in loss
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Freshman Jalen Cook (Monkton, Vt.) scored a game-high 13 points, but Keene State College hit four free throws in the final 25 seconds to hold off Plymouth State University, 50-43, in a Little East Conference (LEC) women's basketball game at Foley Gymnasium on Tuesday night.
Plymouth State took a 10-9 lead with junior Elizabeth McLaughlin's (Melvin Village, N.H.) three in the final minute of the first quarter, but Keene State pulled in front with a 9-0 run to open the second. PSU cut the deficit to one, 18-17, but freshman Katie Martineau (Farmington, N.H.) connected from long range just before the buzzer to give the visitors a 21-17 lead at the half.
The Owls pushed the advantage to as many as 11 in the third quarter, but Plymouth State chipped away and got within two early in the fourth. Keene went up by eight, 44-36, with 2:26 to play, but freshman Alessia Salzillo (Saugus, Mass.) nailed a three and the teams traded buckets to make it a 46-43 game with 31 seconds to go. The Owls connected four times from the charity stripe to hold off PSU's comeback attempt.
Plymouth State drops to 3-7 overall and 0-3 in the Little East, while Keene State improves to 3-10 and 2-2 in conference play.
Plymouth State 43, Keene State 50
Plymouth State (3-7, 0-3 LEC)
Keene State (3-10, 2-2 LEC)
How it Happened.
- In a low-scoring first quarter, Cook sank one-of-two free throws to give PSU a 4-3 lead with 3:32 left in the frame.
- The two teams alternated three pointers from there, with McLaughlin giving the Panthers a 10-9 lead at the end of the frame after hitting from distance.
- Keene used a 9-0 run, with four points from freshman Hailey Derosia (Vernon, Vt.), to go ahead 18-10 with 3:27 left in the second quarter.
- Cook stopped the streak with a left-wing triple, Salzillo buried a baseline jumper and Cook's steal and fast break layup cut the margin to 18-17, but Martineau knocked down a three-pointer just before the buzzer to give the Owls a 21-17 halftime lead.
- Keene pushed the lead to 11, 30-19, on a pair of Derosia free throws 3:22 into the third, but the Panthers used a 10-3 spurt to close the frame.
- The Panthers cut the deficit to two early in the fourth and McLaughlin's jumper made the deficit 46-43 with 31 seconds to play, but the Owls hit four free throws down the stretch to secure the win.
Inside the Numbers:
- Cook led all players with 13 points and added four rebounds and four steals, while freshman Bella Earle (South Hadley, Mass.) chipped in 11 points off the bench.
- McLaughlin grabbed a game-high 12 rebounds and Salzillo totaled eight points, five boards, two assists and a pair of steals.
- Derosia led the Owls with 11 points, including five-of-six from the charity stripe.
- Keene held a slight 42-37 edge on the boards and took 14 free throws to PSU's four.
- Plymouth State heads to Castleton for another league contest on Thursday (Jan. 9) at 5:30 p.m.
– 30 –