McLaughlin nets game-high 17 points in loss
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Junior Elizabeth McLaughlin (Melvin Village, N.H.) scored a game-high 17 points, but Plymouth State University struggled to get in a groove, falling 91-43 at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth in a Little East Conference (LEC) women's basketball game at the Tripp Athletic Center on Saturday afternoon.
McLaughlin hit 6-of-12 from the field and drained 3-of-5 from beyond the arc, but the rest of the Panthers were just 10-of-45 as the team had a difficult time keeping up with a strong Corsairs' squad.
UMass Dartmouth used a 10-0 run to close the first quarter to build a 14-2 lead after one and the hosts never looked back.
Plymouth State dips to 3-11 and 0-7 in the LEC, while UMass Dartmouth goes to 9-8 and 4-4 in league play.
Plymouth State 43, UMass Dartmouth 91
Plymouth State (3-11, 0-7 LEC)
UMass Dartmouth (9-8, 4-4 LEC)
How it Happened.
- Both team's struggled to put points on the board in the early going, as the Corsairs held just a 4-2 lead through the game's first six minutes, but the hosts closed the frame with a 10-0 run to take a 14-2 lead at the end of one.
- PSU's offense improved in the second quarter, but UMass Dartmouth controlled the pace throughout the remainder of the first half as the Corsairs built a 40-12 lead at the half.
- The Panthers were unable to challenge in the second half as UMass Dartmouth coasted to the win.
Inside the Numbers:
- McLaughlin led all scorers with 17 points while adding six rebounds in the setback.
- Freshman Alessia Salzillo (Saugus, Mass.) added 11 points, four assists and four steals, while classmate Sarah Sweet (Narragansett, R.I.) chipped in with ten points.
- PSU was competitive on the glass, as the Corsairs held just a slight 48-41 edge in rebounding.
- Senior Ashley Brown (New Bedford, Mass.) scored the 1,000th point of her career for the Corsairs.
- PSU travels to UMass Boston for a Little East matchup with the Beacons on Wednesday (Jan. 22) at 5:30 p.m.
***With contributions from UMass Dartmouth Sports Information***
– 30 –