Nelson notches first career double-double in setback
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Freshman Autumn Nelson (Weare, N.H.) recorded her first career double-double, but Pine Manor College was able to stave off a late run by Plymouth State University as the Panthers fell, 56-47, in a non-conference women's basketball game at Foley Gymnasium on Wednesday evening.
Plymouth State trailed 45-32 with 4:53 remaining, but the Panthers were able to rally. Nelson's runner in the lane pulled PSU to within seven, 49-42, with 1:34 to go and after a Gators' free throw, freshman Jalen Cook (Monkton, Vt.) and senior Chenysse Hill (Lynn, Mass.) each hit to cut the deficit to 50-46 with 1:17 to play. Nelson hit a free throw with 36 seconds left on the clock to pull the Panthers to within three, 50-47, but PMC relied on clutch free throw shooting down the stretch to hold on for the win.
Plymouth State drops to 4-14, while the Gators move to 5-9.
Plymouth State 47, Pine Manor 56
Plymouth State (4-14)
Pine Manor (5-9)
How it Happened.
- The teams traded baskets over the first five minutes and a Gators' free throw gave the visitors a 5-2 lead, but Nelson sank a three-pointer from the right wing to even the game with three minutes left in the opening quarter.
- Pine Manor went back up by four, but the Panthers closed the frame with six straight points, including a bucket and free throw for Nelson, as PSU led 11-9 after one.
- Freshman Sarah Sweet (Narragansett, R.I.) nailed a triple to give Plymouth a 14-11 lead, but the Gators answered with a 6-0 run to go back in front, 17-14, midway through the quarter.
- The teams traded three-pointers at the end of the quarter with Pine Manor holding a 27-19 lead at the half.
- Senior Alex Ricard (Manchester, N.H.) sank a baseline jumper to trim the PSU deficit to 29-24, but the Gators used a 7-2 spurt to push the advantage to double-digits, 36-26, with four minutes left in the third.
- The Panthers held the visitors scoreless over the remainder of the quarter and a conventional three-point play from Cook and a Ricard bucket and free throw cut the margin to 36-32 heading to the fourth.
- PMC used a 9-0 run over the next five minutes to extend the lead to 45-32, but Hill swished a midrange jumper and her free throw made it a ten-point game, 45-35, with 3:43 to go.
- Cook sank a free throw and, after the PSU defense forced a turnover, Nelson got into the lane and laid it in to make it 49-42 with 1:34 remaining.
- PMC got one of two free throws but Cook hit a runner in the lane and a steal and quick bucket by Hill trimmed the margin to 50-46 with 1:17 left.
- Nelson's foul shot made it a one-possession game, 50-47, with 36 seconds to play, but the Gators went 6-of-8 from the line the rest of the way to secure the win.
Inside the Numbers:
- Hill led the Panthers with 13 points and added six rebounds, two assists and two steals, while Nelson notched her first career double-double with 12 points and 12 boards.
- Ricard chipped in with seven points and seven rebounds.
- Both teams pulled down 52 rebounds.
- The Panthers get back into Little East Conference play on Saturday (Feb. 1) when they host WestConn at 1:00 p.m.
– 30 –