Panthers return to N.H. for home opener Friday at Hanaway Rink
BUFFALO, N.Y. – Morrisville State scored a pair of second-period goals Saturday afternoon and went on to defeat Plymouth State University, 3-0 on the second day of the Buffalo State Women's Ice Hockey Tournament.
The Mustangs captured the tournament with a 2-0 record, including a 9-0 defeat of Nichols College on Friday. PSU completes the tourney with an 0-1-1 mark, having also tied host Buffalo State on Friday, 4-4. Junior Shannon Hickey (Arlington, Mass.), who tallied two goals and one assist Friday evening, including the game-tying goal in the final minute of regulation, was named to the All-Tournament Team for PSU.
The Panthers will return to New Hampshire for the 2016-17 home opener Friday at Hanaway Rink; PSU will host Holy Cross College in a New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) matchup at 6:00 p.m.
Buffalo State Ice Arena, Buffalo, N.Y. – Saturday, Oct. 29, 2016
Morrisville State 3, Plymouth State 0
PSU 0-1-1; MSC 2-0-0
* The Panthers and Mustangs battle through a scoreless first period. Morrisville finally got on the board when Claire Newman (Burlington, Ont.) scored just over nine minutes into the second period, assisted by Megan Kirk (Breezy Point, N.Y.) and Kylie Cameron (Burlington, Ontario).
* The Mustangs put a little more distance between themselves and Plymouth State eight minutes later when Maddison Devlin (Campbell River, B.C.) found the back of the net for her first collegiate goal. Stephanie Strymecki (Kelowna, B.C.) and Ciara Lark (Mildmay, Ont.) tallied the assists.
* Kali Rutka (Anchorage, Alas.) provided the exclamation point onto the victory as she tallied her first goal of her sophomore season at the 3:49 mark in the third period. Vanessa Klimpke (Winnipeg, Man.) and Renee Stevenson (Winnipeg, Man.) were credited with assists.
* Renee Schmaltz (Beaumont, Alberta) picked up her second win and second shutout of the season while recording nine saves. Sophomore netminder Emelie Lindqvist (Gulleråsen, Sweden) made 20 saves in the PSU goal.
* PSU vs. Holy Cross, Friday, Nov. 4, Hanaway Rink, 6:00 p.m. (Home opener)
-- 30 --