Hickey scores two goals for Panthers in setback
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Junior Kara Violette (Biddeford, Maine) and sophomore Sam Girard (Dedham, Mass.) combined to record three goals and three assists Friday evening as Holy Cross skated past Plymouth State University, 5-3, in the New England Hockey Conference women's opener at Hanaway Rink.
Violette collected a goal and three assists while Girard tallied a pair of goals for the Crusaders. Holy Cross out-shot the home team by a 49-21 count, as PSU sophomore goalie Emelie Lindqvist (Gulleråsen, Sweden) finished with 44 saves.
Junior Shannon Hickey (Arlington, Mass.) picked up two goals for the Panthers, giving her a team-high four goals in three games this season.
at Hanaway Rink, Plymouth, N.H. – Friday, Nov. 4, 2016
Holy Cross 5, Plymouth State 3
PSU 0-2-1 (0-1-1 NEHC); HC 3-0-0 (1-0-0)
* Junior Tessie Salatas (Laval, Que.) recorded the win in the Holy Cross net, making 18 saves.
* Holy Cross scored the only two goals of the first period, both assisted by Violette. Sophomore Tori Messina (Hingham, Mass.) put the Crusaders on the board with a power play goal at 8:39, snapping a shot from the left circle that went top shelf, and Girard tallied her third goal of the season from the left side of the crease less than three minutes later.
* The Panthers came back with a pair of second-period power play goals, both by Hickey, to tie the game after 40 minutes. Her first of the night came at 14:08, assisted by sophomore Courtney Evans (Fairbanks, Alaska) and senior Haley Branovan (Canandaigua, N.Y.). Hickey's second goal was a deflection in front on a shot by freshman Kailey Jacobs (Westwood, Mass.)
* The Crusaders put three more goals on the board in the first five minutes of the third period. Girard fired a shot from just inside the blue line for a short-handed goal a minute and four seconds into the frame. Junior Kelsey Goostrey (Jackson, Mich.) and Violette tacked on unassisted goals, Goostrey scoring her first of the season at 3:17 and Violette adding her third of the season at 5:21
* PSU got one back on a goal by sophomore Kelsey Roy (Fort Collins, Colo.) just 31 seconds after Violette's goal, but that end up as the final goal of the game.
* PSU visits New England College, Saturday, Nov. 5, 1:00 p.m. (NEHC game)
* Holy Cross at Saint Michael's College, Saturday, Nov. 5, 1:00 p.m. (NEHC game)
-- 30 --