Third-period goals lift Spartans over Panthers
RUTLAND, Vt. – The Castleton University women's ice hockey team used two third-period goals and 24 saves from Rachael Brazil to defeat Plymouth State University, 2-0, on Friday night at Spartan Arena.
Sophomore Emelie Lindqvist (Gulleråsen, Sweden) made 18 saves in the PSU goal as the Spartans finished with a 24-20 advantage in shots in the low-scoring affair.
Castleton evens its record to 2-2-0 on the season and improves to 2-1-0 in NEHC action, while Plymouth State falls to 1-3-1 overall, 1-2-0 in the NEHC.
at Spartan Arena, Rutland, Vt. – Friday, Nov. 11, 2016
Castleton 2, Plymouth State 0
Records: PSU 1-3-1 (1-2-0 NEHC); CU 2-2-0 (2-1-0 NEHC)
* Both teams shared opportunities over the first two frames, but strong defense and solid goaltending kept the game scoreless heading into the third period. A penalty-filled final 20 minutes led to opportunities on both ends of the ice.
* Castleton was able to strike first midway through the final frame. Taking advantage of a 5-on-3 power play, Jocelyn Forrest was able to bust loose in the far corner and delivered a perfect pass to Nicolle Trivino in front of the net, who hammered home the one-timer at the 10:56 mark.
* Plymouth State responded with pressure of its own, tallying six of the next seven shots on goal, in large part due to three power play opportunities. Brazil was up to the task in net, preserving the one-goal lead into the final minutes. Hannah Rose added an empty-net goal with two seconds remaining to round out the scoring.
* This was the first game between the two schools since PSU upset nationally-ranked Castleton last February, 3-2. Castleton was ranked #7 by D3hockey.com and #10 by USCHO.com.
* Next up for Castleton is a matchup at Norwich University, where the Spartans will take on the No. 6/7 Cadets at 4 p.m. on Saturday. PSU is idle for a week until next weekend's road trip to Manhattanville College on Friday, Nov. 18, and Salve Regina on Saturday, Nov. 19.
(With contributions from Castleton Sports Information)
-- 30 --