Nagel's hat trick lifts Panthers to non-conference win
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Freshman Julie Nagel (Canton, Mass.) tallied three goals and one assist Saturday afternoon as Plymouth State University skated past Post University (Conn.) in a non-conference women's ice hockey game at Hanaway Rink.
Freshman Alexis Fagan (Wakefield, R.I.) and senior Frederike Brazeau-Lalonde (Thetford Mines, Que.) added four points apiece for PSU, Fagan with two goals and two assists and Brazeau-Lalonde with four assists.
Plymouth State has won two of its last three games to complete the first semester with a 4-6-1 overall record, while Post, a first-year varsity program, drops to 0-9-0.
at Hanaway Rink, Plymouth, N.H. – Saturday, Dec. 10, 2016
Plymouth State 11, Post (Conn.) 0
PSU 4-6-1; Post 0-9-0
* PSU set a program record for goals in a game, surpassing the six goals scored in last year's 6-0 win over Johnson & Wales. The Panthers out-shot the Eagles, 73-3.
* Branovan put the Panthers on the scoreboard six minutes into the game, triggering dozens of teddy bears being tossed on to the ice as part of the Teddy Bear Toss; The bears were collected and will be given to the Children's Hospital at Dartmouth (CHaD).
* MacMillan and Fagan tacked on goals later in the period to give PSU a 3-0 lead after one frame.
* Nagel scored her first goal 27 seconds into the second period and added her second four-and-a-half minutes later to extend the margin to 5-0. Freshman Caitlin Connor (Bow, N.H.) scored her first career goal at the 10:39 mark, and Branovan and Fagan continued the scoring to make in 8-0 after two periods.
* Freshman Kailey Jacobs (Westwood, Mass.) got into the scoring action to open the third period scoring. Nagel finished off her hat trick with less than four minutes remaining, and freshman Amanda McPherson (Livonia, Mich.) rounded out the scoring with her first career score with three minutes to play.
* Senior Ally Altschuler (Cheshire, Conn.) needed to make just three saves to post her first career shutout.
* Netminders Mikaella Doran (Eden Mills, Vt.) and Samantha Griswold (Park City, Utah) combined to make 62 saves for the Eagles.
* Both teams are now idle for final exams and the holiday break. PSU returns to action on Friday, Jan. 6, at Saint Michael's College in the annual DoubleTree Classic. Post is back on the ice on Monday, Jan. 2, at the Codfish Bowl at UMass Boston.
-- 30 --