Three second-period goals propel Panthers to tournament victory
SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. – The Plymouth State University and Sacred Heart University women's ice hockey teams both earned victories on Friday during the opening day of the 12th annual DoubleTree Ice Hockey Classic at Cairns Arena. Sacred Heart topped Hamilton College, 4-3, in overtime during the opening contest, while Plymouth State defeated tournament host Saint Michael's College, 4-0, in the nightcap.
The tournament winner will be determined Saturday, as Hamilton opposes Plymouth State at 1 p.m. and Saint Michael's takes on Sacred Heart at 4 p.m.
12th Annual DoubleTree Hockey Classic
at Cairns Arena, South Burlington, Vt. – Friday, Jan. 6, 2017
Sacred Heart 4, Hamilton 3 (OT)
Plymouth State 4, Saint Michael's 0
PSU 5-6-1; SMC 0-11-0; Sacred Heart 9-6-1; Hamilton 5-3-0
* Senior Haley Branovan (Canandaigua, N.Y.) and Lauren Connolly (Braintree, Mass.) and juniors Courtney Evans (Fairbanks, Alaska) and Shannon Hickey (Arlington, Mass.) all scored goals for Plymouth State.
* Junior goalie Mariah Trupp (Topeka, Kan.) notched the 17-save shutout, the third different Panther netminder to post a white-wash this season.
* Senior Tina Frasca (Norwood, Mass.) made 33 stops for the Purple Knights.
* During a first period that featured only 14 shots, Saint Michael's senior Athena Akiki (Allendale, N.J.) had a bid from the left circle turned away by Trupp's blocker at 12:30, and the teams were scoreless heading into the second period.
* Connelly opened the scoring for PSU at 9:25 of the middle frame after corralling a giveaway deep in the Saint Michael's zone and roofing a shot for her second goal of the season.
* Frasca came up with four tough saves in a three-minute span during the middle portion of the stanza, denying one shot with her blocker, another with her glove, a third with her helmet and a fourth on sophomore Brooke Maggy (Alhambra, Calif.) as the Panther was falling to the ice just outside the crease. Junior Kaitlyn Wurzer (Lee, N.H.) nearly claimed the equalizer for SMC at 14:15, but her attempt to pick the upper left corner from the right circle found Trupp's blocker.
* Plymouth State pulled away when Branovan skated through the left circle before ringing a shot off the left post and in at 16:13. Evans extended the lead by one-timing home a shot at the left post following freshman Caitlin Connor's (Bow, N.H.) pass from the right goal-line.
* Hickey rounded out the scoring midway through the third period, converting a pass from behind the net from sophomore Kelsey Roy (Fort Collins, Colo.)
* The tournament concludes Saturday, as PSU faces Hamilton at 1 p.m. and Saint Michael's takes on Sacred Heart at 4 p.m.
-- 30 --