Hickey named to All-Tournament Team for Panthers
SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. – Hamilton College out-shot Plymouth State University 33-11 and went on to defeat the Panthers 4-1 Saturday afternoon on the second day of the 12th annual DoubleTree Women's Ice Hockey Classic at Cairns Arena, hosted by Saint Michael's College.
Sacred Heart University won the tournament with a 2-0 record, recording wins over Hamilton and host Saint Michael's. Hamilton and PSU both posted 1-1 records in the tournament but Hamilton finishes runner-up based on head-to-head play, and the host Purple Knights finished fourth.
PSU's representative on the All-Tournament Team was junior Shannon Hickey (Arlington, Mass.)
12th Annual DoubleTree Hockey Classic – Day two
at Cairns Arena, South Burlington, Vt. – Saturday, Jan. 7, 2017
Hamilton 4, Plymouth State 1
Sacred Heart 3, Saint Michael's 1
PSU 5-7-1; SMC 0-12-0; Sacred Heart 10-6-1; Hamilton 6-3-0
* PSU and Hamilton played 35 minutes of scoreless hockey before the Continentals scored twice in a span of 34 seconds. Hamilton then scored two more goals in the first four minutes of the third frame to open up a comfortable 4-0 advantage.
* Andrea Rockey's fourth goal of the season came with 4:40 to go in the second. She gathered a loose puck at the blue line and offensive blue line and rushed past two defenders before deking to the backhand and finishing with a pretty shot to top right corner.
* Olivia Hawes notched the game winner 34 seconds later, tipping a shot taken by Sara Taffe from the point through traffic into the bottom left corner.
* The Continentals went ahead 3-0 3:48 into the final period when Giuttari managed to score with a shot from behind the net. Taegan Blackwell sent an ice-level shot wide of the left post that Giuttari gathered from behind the net. Her shot hit the skate of the PSU goaltender and bounced back into the net.
* Katie Parkman closed out the Continental scoring 33 seconds later with a power-play goal. She gathered her own rebound at the top of the crease and sent a backhand shot from one knee between her legs into the net.
* Plymouth State got on the board at the 6:06 mark when freshman Alie Louie (Mount Laurel, N.J.) sent a high wrist shot from the point that went through traffic into the top right corner for her first career goal.
* Sophomore Jamie Meroz made 10 saves in her first start of the season for Hamilton.
* The Continentals are receiving votes in both national polls.
* PSU sophomore Emelie Lindqvist (Gullerasen, Sweden) made 29 saves for Plymouth State.
* PSU returns to New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) action Friday at Norwich University (7:00 p.m.
* The Continentals are back in action Tuesday with a 7 p.m. non-league game at SUNY Potsdam.
-- 30 --