Fagan and McPherson tally goals for Panthers
NORTHFIELD, Vt. – The Plymouth State University women's ice hockey team gave the No. 3 team in the nation a tough battle Friday evening, but the Panthers fell to Norwich University, 4-2, in New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) action at Kreitzberg Arena.
Sophomore Adrieana Rossini (Malden, Mass.) scored twice for the Cadets, while freshman Amanda Conway (Methuen, Mass.) tallied a goal and an assist. The Panthers got goals from freshmen Alexis Fagan (Wakefield, R.I.) and Amanda McPherson (Livonia, Mich.).
Norwich remained unbeaten in conference play, improving to 11-2-1 overall and 7-0-0 in the NEHC, while PSU, playing in its first league game in nearly two months, slid to 5-8-1 overall and 2-5-0 in the NEHC.
at Kreitzberg Arena, Northfield, Vt. – Friday, Jan. 13, 2017
Norwich 4, Plymouth State 2
PSU 5-8-1 (2-5-0 NEHC); NU 11-2-1 (7-0-0 NEHC)
* Plymouth State took a brief 1-0 lead just 1:28 into the first period as Fagan capitalized on a power play opportunity with her team-leading sixth goal of the year off an assist from junior Courtney Evans (Fairbanks, Alaska). Fagan worked a give and go from the side boards and the point with Evans and then rifled a wrist shot into the top left corner of the net from the left faceoff circle.
* Norwich responded 1:40 later with Sophie McGovern scoring on a rush up the ice with a quick wrister from the slot to knot the game up at 1-1. The goal was McGovern's sixth of the year and her third in the last five games.
* The Cadets took their first lead of the game at the 2:27 mark of the second period with Conway collecting an outlet pass from Michelle Masperi (Montorfano, Italy) in the neutral zone and then doing the rest herself skating in from the right and burying a wrist shot to the left side of the net.
* Rossini tallied her first of the game at the 5:43 mark of the second period to push the lead to 3-1. She scored after Schwenzfeier dug the puck off the boards and found Rossini cutting to the net.
* Plymouth State answered at the 17:16 mark with another power play goal as McPherson banked a shot off a NU defender and into the back of the net off assists from sophomore Kelsey Roy (Fort Collins, Colo.) and Sydney Linnick (Livonia, Mich.). McPherson threw a shot on net from the point after Roy moved the puck up the wall and the puck redirected off a NU player and into the back of the net.
* Norwich added an insurance tally at the 6:28 mark of the third period with Rossini scoring on a blind spin-o-rama backhander along the ice.
* Norwich finished with a 30-8 advantage in shots on goal. NU's Laurie King (Waddington, N.Y.) made six saves to improve to 9-0-1 on the year. Junior Mariah Trupp (Topeka, Kans.) made 26 saves for Plymouth State to fall to 3-2.
* PSU returns home to host the University of New England on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. in a New England Hockey Conference match-up.
* Norwich returns to action next weekend when it hosts Franklin Pierce and UMass Boston, respectively, on Friday and Saturday.
-- 30 --